Ideas and Features

For anything that doesn't belong in the other boards

Moderator: Moderators

sideshowbond

Ideas and Features

Postby sideshowbond » 10 Jun 2018, 10:04

I was wondering how and when posts are being moderated in the Ideas and Features section of the website. I am trying to push this a little and keep on realising that it needs weeks for posts to be admitted. I know someone needs to dedicate their time but the way it works right now you might as well bin that feature. I'd hate going for polls on facebook again though.
niclights
The eManual

Re: Ideas and Features

Postby niclights » 10 Jun 2018, 10:38

As it stands I have to agree. I really like the ability to vote and then order by most popular but that's the only thing I like at the moment. Otherwise I find it clumsy and impossible to follow beyond the first handful of ideas that were entered. I have stopped looking because of this.

In particular:

- I can't easily see when something new has been added or commented on.
- The moderation system means that comments can be out of sequence (ie. someone makes a comment and then an earlier comment appears after approval)
- The comment ordering is different depending on which comment button you choose (ie [Add Comment] or [add a comment] and adds further to the confusion in my first point
- Endorsements and comments only have avatars without names. My understanding is on some browsers there is a pop-up if you hover over but it doesn't work for me. Since many people don't have an avatar this makes for a mostly anonymous set of comments or endorsements.
- The way they are presented with a description as well as title means you have to go through a lot of pages to view. While there is no way to entirely prevent it I think this won't help with duplicates. In my opinion it would be better if it was just title.
- The voting system is open to abuse with unlimited votes. For example you could vote for everything. Or you might order by most popular and then end up voting for the top ones.

I understand many of the reason for the above and it does have its benefits but I feel currently these limitations are hindering its potential. Either the above need to be solved and brought in line with many of the features already available in this forum (for example sorted by default with latest post or reply at the top with anything unread clearly highlighted, user names as well as or in preference to avatars, change the moderation system so that accounts need approving rather than each post/comment etc.) or just take advantage of all the functions that have been developed over many years in this forum and find a way to bolt on a voting system where each user has a set number of votes they can distribute.
Mars3110

Postby Mars3110 » 10 Jun 2018, 13:32

+1

I have 6 ideas waiting for approval and the oldest one was submitted one month ago.
sideshowbond

Postby sideshowbond » 12 Jun 2018, 08:36

Everything Nic says apart from
niclights wrote:- The voting system is open to abuse with unlimited votes. For example you could vote for everything. Or you might order by most popular and then end up voting for the top ones.

I think there is a good point for being able to like/unlike every entry. I wouldn't want to imagine a "you got 5 votes, choose carefully" when there's 150 ideas...