marking up a desk without tape

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

24seven

marking up a desk without tape

Postby 24seven » 30 Jul 2005, 16:22

i am currently LD/Operator for three shows/bands with tour schedules that nicely fit that i can do all three but i have a problem i am using my pearl 2000 for all the gigs i have to remark my desk with the ol' white tape at every gig .

my question is has anyone found a solution to not having to stick tape all over the desk but still mark up whats what.

i did think of getting some of the magnetic stuff like you have down the side to show the attributes but if the ones not in use are loose under the desk will they could wipe the disks in there ??

Anyone got any ideas

Mark W-E

24seven
Lighting Design -Desk Operation - Tour Management
www.markwynnedwards.com
My area on Avolites
iadwm

Postby iadwm » 31 Jul 2005, 14:31

Hi Mark,

One of those eternal questions...

There are only two options aren't there?

1) Re-label every time
2) Tape over

For what it's worth....
I took a photocopy of the picture (of the desk) from the owners manual. And write down the patch on the picture. Makes for very easy re-labeling Helps to keep a quick pictorial record of what's what. Or, I just can't get away from my noise-boy roots and like to draw on pictures of gear.

The other method I use (depending on how lazy or late it is). Is to simply tape over. If you leave an overhang on the top layer, with PVC it's quite easy to remove a line. If you take it up carefully, it wont stretch, then store it somewhere, if you need to. Like stuck underneath the desk or on a side, or even wrap it round a plastic folder - that works.

For the roller I prefer masking tape to PVC, because it's wider. But not so easy to remove and re-use. So that's where the <legend> is great. Store what you have to write with the show. Does mean you have to use a monitor, but a flat screen is so damn cheap now. I only paid just over £100 for a new 17" screen! The case cost more !!. At the same time I got a very dinky "laptop" keyboard (no separate numeric keys) to carry with the screen. Much easier for legending than using the desk.

What doe everyone else do?

Regards,

Andy
"It's the prospect of hearing something that you could never have dreamed existed"
John Peel

www.iadwm.com
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 31 Jul 2005, 15:25

You could use an overlay to do this.

I designed one for use with A3 acetate, though assuming it will be used on desks with stuff already labelled you could use paper.

It is in CorelDraw format, the idea being that you can neatly print complete with splodges, dots, pictures, even colours if you have the ability to print to A3 in colour. A3 covers the 15 playbacks and all 10 facets, although not quite wide enough to cover the extra left-hand edge. You just need to line up one edge, stick it down and rotate the roller and stick down the other edge.

Obviously this requires CorelDraw and the ability to print to A3, but it will line-up perfectly.

Olie uploaded the original overlay on the website too.

If you would like my version just send me a PM with your email.
Gert

Coral draw layout

Postby Gert » 05 Aug 2005, 21:31

Hi Niclights,

can you send me the coraldraw layout you made for the roller?

In return I'll send you my Coraldraw layout for the preset focus

gert@groepgigant.be

thanks

Gert
Olie
Site Admin

Postby Olie » 08 Aug 2005, 10:50

You can download a roller layout on the Pearl 2004 downloads page.

http://www.avolitesdownload.com/Downloads/Pearl2004.stm
Avolites Software Team
Pearce Hire

Postby Pearce Hire » 08 Aug 2005, 12:35

Ollie, is the roller cover available in another format, say Word for example to enable us to label the roller with PC before going out on site?
Olie
Site Admin

Postby Olie » 08 Aug 2005, 15:15

I will have a go but it is difficult to format it in word in a way that would ensure it is printed to the correct size. I will have a go.
Avolites Software Team