How do I "Wipe Patch" on the Tiger Touch?

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

foolstar

How do I "Wipe Patch" on the Tiger Touch?

Postby foolstar » 08 Dec 2011, 05:51

What happened to the Pearl "Wipe Patch" function in the Tiger Touch? Its quite tedious going in manually and clearing out the old numbers that are bringing up unwanted fixtures. How is one supposed to clear out the previous days patch without it? or am I missing something? Someone help!
EmmaThompson

Postby EmmaThompson » 21 Dec 2011, 14:36

Hi,

I'm a bit confused as to why you would want to just wipe the patch information? Any playbacks and palettes will then be useless. If you want to delete a number of fixtures at once, you can press 'patch', then 'delete' and select a range of fixtures.

What do you want to keep/remove from your show?
Emma Thompson
Training and Events
Avolites
foolstar

Postby foolstar » 21 Dec 2011, 19:28

Hi Emma!

Thanks for the reply.

I want to remove and update the patching information for new performances of the same show but with different dimmers. For example, todays show has 120K of par cans. I patch and program and create my show. Then on the next day I am in a theatre with 90k of par cans and lekos everywhere and I would like to use the previous days programming because its the same show but with different dimmers. Now, I just need to repatch for todays show, which is easy enough but what I am left with are extra dimmer channels with info that are bringing up random instruments though out the plot.

Is the best option to "View Patch" and then manually "park" all of the dimmers and then start fresh? I have done that but I seem to end up with lots of extra info in the patch than is needed.

Im rather new to this and really could use some guidance on the best way to do this for every new show. Its mostly the conventional fixtures that are in question. I have successfully "swapped fixtures" when I have movers.

Thanks Emma!
icke_siegen

Postby icke_siegen » 21 Dec 2011, 20:40

Basically, when a fixture is deleted, all related information (group assignment, cues & times, palettes) is removed along with unassigning the DMX address - whilst parking a fixture only removes the DMX assignment, and retains everything else.

Further, an interesting information might be that copying a fixture transfers all the additional information (palettes, cues, times) to the copied one.

The best way for you depends from your programming habits. One way would be to setup a minimalistic default show, with only one fixture/channel per position. Then, instead of patching, you copy the fixtures, and assign DMX addresses (Repatch). Backdraw of this approach: you don't retain changes (e.g. in timing) from one day/venue to another.

Another approach: always work with the same - finally maximum - show. I reckon you basically know the venues you'll come to. So: patch e.g. 4 or 6 dimmers for each position you might need. Use groups! Give them useful names! Layout the fixtures in the fixture window according to the setup! Then, when you start the day, check each group if all contained channels behave correctly.

Finally, whilst the overview of the patch is better in 'View'-'Fixture Patch', Parking/Repatching is more easily done (to my mind) in the patch menu. You might use the printout tool at www.avolites.de/test/d4z to printout the current patchlist.

Best, Sebastian
EmmaThompson

Postby EmmaThompson » 22 Dec 2011, 10:21

Hey,

Ok, now I understand what you want a bit more, I would definitely recommend parking rather than deleting:

The way I would usually program is to park everything for a new show to start with - you can do this through 'patch' 'repatch fixtures', select all your fixtures and hit 'park'. This means any channels that are left over from the last show won't try and interfere with your next show - no more random instruments coming up!

Then I'd repatch the dimmers to the new addresses - if you're not sure what addresses things are, I tend to patch all the house dimmers separately, go through and label everything up as to what the channels are, and then repatch them onto the old handles - thus saving all your programming! If you have double the number of fixtures to cover the same area, you can simply patch both addresses onto the same handle button, thereby not having to go through and update everything with the new channel. If you want to control the new dimmers separately, you can copy them - meaning the new dimmer will go into all the same cues as the one you've copied from, but you can also control it independently if you wish.

I'm not saying that's the best way to do it, but it's how I managed a 3 week touring repatching house dimmers every day, and it worked for me :) you can also apply the 'copy' thing to moving lights after you've fixture exchanged them.
Emma Thompson

Training and Events

Avolites
foolstar

Postby foolstar » 25 Dec 2011, 02:27

Sounds good. Thanks for the replies!