Fader Priority

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

peter.rodda

Fader Priority

Postby peter.rodda » 17 Aug 2011, 18:57

I’m still a bit confused about fader priority. Could someone explain its details to me a bit better?
Rescently I had a show where I had front light programmed into all the cues of a cue list. But I wanted to be able to overwrite the front light intensity, up or down, with a fader. So I made the fader’s priority VERY HIGH, hoping that it would then become a master and have a higher priority than the cue list… but it didn’t seem to work the way I hoped.

If this is possible, it would be a very easy way to program a group master, or Grand Master for the Titan Mobile, by creating a fader with all dimmer channel’s in the rig and making it VERY (VERY) HIGH PRIORITY.

Then when the fader is down, nothing will be able to change those lighting to on (not even actions in cuelists). This would actally be very cool for a desk with motorised faders (the new saphire?), where one fader would master a bunch of others and have realtime phisical results on the other faders (like on a sound desk).
peter.rodda

Postby peter.rodda » 17 Aug 2011, 19:46

O, and how does Fader Priority effect different cuelists with different priorities?

Does each cue have a different priority, or each cue list?

And how are the priorities of Autoloads treated?
icke_siegen

Postby icke_siegen » 17 Aug 2011, 23:04

Yeah, you're right, this should be a bit more elaborated upon in the manual. Actually, priorities are best understood in an LTP context (e.g. a shape moving somewhere can easily be overwritten by a block shape with higher poriority).

When it comes to HTP, I'd say it's a different concept. Personally, I'd prefer something like group masters (is it this you're asking for?). Meaning that a certain fader works as a multiplicator for other fixture's HTP channels. For the time being: dimmers are always HTP: the highest takes precedence, not matter the priority.

However, priorities are assigned to playbacks (== handles). Thus, there are no priorities for cues in a cuelist, or autoloads (the content of the playback is loaded, not the playback itself).
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 17 Aug 2011, 23:05

You can't do group masters at the moment, although I'm sure it is a well known request.

Priorities work on the LTP attributes. For example you can have a cue with colour white set to high prio. While that cue is running it will override any colour information for the same fixtures fired from lower priority cues.
Personally I find it most useful to exclude positional shapes from swop.

As far as I can remember a priority will be for the whole cuelist since it is applied to the playback.

And I think Autoloads should take the priorities from the originating playbacks.
peter.rodda

Postby peter.rodda » 15 Jun 2012, 12:25

Hi,

Just to revisit this priority thing...

Recently, on programming some colour chases and effects on multi-cell fixtures, I realised that sometimes the separate cell chases and effects would not work unless they were set to a high priority.

Does the "master fixture" have an automatic priority than the cells inside it?

So for example, If one cue had a group of full fixtures in a certain colour, and another cue had a group of only only cell 1 in a certain colour, then the the full fixture cue would have a higher priority than the cell 1 group, unless the cell 1 cue was set to a higher priority?

This also seemed to mean that my block shape bump/flash buttons and my Open White bump flash buttons needed to have a Very High Priority to overwrite the high priority cell chase cues?
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 15 Jun 2012, 17:00

I'm not sure about cells. Will have a look.

I think it would be fairly normal to set the block/white cues to a higher priority so that they always had control, rather than just be LTP. But obviously if the cues you want to override are already in high then the shapes would then need to be very high.

Note that there is a bug with block shapes where other shapes can override even when they are a lower priority. This is fixed in v6.0 although I don't think it's related to your issue.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 15 Jun 2012, 18:58

Update: I've looked at this in v5.0 but can't find anything wrong.

Cue 1 = Master fixture at R 100, G 0, B 0
Cue 2 = Sub fixtures at R 0 G 0 B 100

- Fire cue 1 = Red
- Fire cue 2 = Blue
- Kill cue 1
- Lift cue 1 = Red

However, I was reminded of another bug where palettes applied to master fixtures won't clear and nothing overrides them until you select the fixture and nudge the attributes. This is specific to selecting a master fixture and applying a palette. Quick palette and palettes applied to sub fixtures works correctly. This is also fixed in v6.0.
peter.rodda

Postby peter.rodda » 18 Jun 2012, 08:29

Thanks nic.

I think i've experienced both of those bugs.

The White bumps are set to mode2 and the button to flash, so that it will override the current LTP colour and then return back when the button is released. I tried doing it with a release mask set to everything, but then it would often release to a locate position with no colour... I think I still don't really have the hang of where to use release masks.

Having the cell colour chases not work I think is part of that second bug.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 18 Jun 2012, 09:36

I'll have another look at block priority when in combination with mode 2.

Release will return to quick palettes but if palettes applied to a fixture selection then it will currently release to locate.