Why the change?

For anything that doesn't belong in the other boards

Moderator: Moderators

Do you like the new Pearl2000/04 disk extractor exe?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 2
Joseph

Why the change?

Postby Joseph » 22 Apr 2011, 01:55

I have to ask why did was the pearl personality disk exe changed? I had to download the 29 disks so I can get the personalities for some new lights that I am using in a show tomorrow. I want to patch the show tonight using the simulator

I have never had a problem with this until tonight. I would download the disks, decompress them to directories on my harddrive, copy the personalities that I needed to a new directory and then copy them to a disk. I would also patch the show and save it to a disk.

Now I cannot decompress the disk to a directory. It will only decompress to a disk.

I love using your newer consoles, and I enjoyed the 2000/04 10 years ago, but don't make this any harder on us. I still have many clients that love to use it, and many LD's request it on band riders. Please change it back.

- Joe

P. S. Anyone know where I put my 1.44 floppies?
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 22 Apr 2011, 12:29

I'm not sure why it has changed. Try using the Pearl Expert Classic option instead. This installer allows you to choose a location and gets you all the files at once. The r20 files are the same on all the platforms.
Gregory

Postby Gregory » 26 Apr 2011, 11:19

There was a change to our servers last summer which required the disk creation process to be updated. Unfortunately it was not possible to use the same system as we had used previously. As Nic said you can use some of the other downloads instead, the "Pearl 2008/2010 & Tiger" library, for example, can be installed to the hard drive and will create a directory for each manufacturer which makes it easier to find files when patching.

Sorry for the inconvenience, please let us know if you have any further questions.
icke_siegen

Postby icke_siegen » 30 Apr 2011, 21:29

Hi Joseph,

not more than a little annoyance: get 7zip (http://www.7-zip.org/) for free. This lets you expand the apsdiskxx.exe to a folder of your liking, and you can proceed like in the past.

Also, on the personality site, find the file, select the .R20 version, hit 'view source', and copy the contents of the textarea (click there, ctrl-A, ctrl-C ...) onto a new textfile. But this might be prone to errors... (and don't forget to work on the R20.LST file, and include the sg.dat)

Have fun,

Sebastian
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 30 Apr 2011, 22:57

Yep. Regarding copy/paste remember to save with the same filename as in source and the r20 extension (If you use Notepad this means changing filetype from text to all).

7zip is also useful for other things, for instance editing filenames within the archive.