Pearl Software Wish-List

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

niclights
The eManual

Pearl Software Wish-List

Postby niclights » 26 Jan 2005, 12:57

PEARL 2004 SOFTWARE WISH-LIST

CLOSED

Sadly the time has come to say goodbye to this thread. Many of these features have found their home in Titan where development continues beyond the limitations of older hardware. Therefore I have created a new Titan-specific requests topic.
I will leave this here for posterity.

key: |personal highest priority!| |fix or feature?...||implemented!|

1) Virtual Dimmer: Defined in personality file. Attribute will multiply assigned attributes by x%. (Mainly for LED fixtures.)

2) PB Swop in Takeover: Implementation of normal Swop functionality in RMT. (Would require user setting to toggle filtered palette.)

3) [clear] & raised presets: Proposed change so active preset values are never removed following change of Fixture Page. (Current implementation is dangerous and nonsensical IMO)

4) Memory Master & PB's: Lower/raise MM should reload PB's with original content and not take from current page (Identical to the Swop fix in RMN).

5) Shape Size/Speed control by wheel: Connect/Autoconnect (ChiekuRs) (A valuable improvement on the compromising timed fader/mode 2 option.)

6) Multiple Delete: Allow range of PB's (and palettes via Preset Add?) to be deleted. Hold Swop1 and then Swop2, [enter] to confirm on prompt. (Saves time/button presses.)

7) Preset Master Add in RMT: Propose change to allow. (Currently it has no purpose.)

8 ) Preset Master control over programmer: User setting (or Quick Key?) to toggle allow/disallow. (Useful for outputting to stage in RMT with master at zero.)

9) Remove Shapes for selected Fixtures in RMT: An invaluable facility to temporarily remove shapes. Currently the only way is an awkward cheat.

10) Fixture override by attribute in RMT: Ability to take control of one or more attributes with priority over palettes or PB's. (MichSuS)[

11) Locate/no dimmer: (Useful when in a 'showtime' situation.)

12) Store/Edit/Delete/Legend via palette softbuttons: (Would me much more intuitive than current methods.) (CoenCo)

13) Numerical Palette Delete: To allow deletion of palettes 121-200. Currently this is not possible. Number could be entered after pressing [delete].

14) Chase Legend in LCD: Display connected chase legend underneath page legend.

15) Highlight selected in LCD: Use invertext text to show location of values in LCD for any selected fixtures.

16) New Highlight user setting: Highlight to use colour/gobo (ie. open white) instead of dimmer with 'lowlight' fixtures remaining visible in current state. (iCe)

17) Ignore Focus Mask user setting: Store and recall of palettes will ignore selected attribute. (Iain)

18 ) [shift] select upper bank palettes: Gives two ways of accessing palettes 31-120 via Preset Add and access to 121-150. (and/or by upper bank Fixture Page selection) (ChiekuRs)

19) Control chase speed/x-fade in 'Stopped' state: Abililty to 'preset' speed/x-fade by connecting to a currently inactive Chase. (ChiekuRs)

20) Shapes in palettes: Ability to store shapes in palettes (? I'm not sure if this is at all possible ?) (ChiekuRs)

21) 'Locate' while patching: Highlight Dimmer/DMX channel while patching. (CoenCo)

22) Tap Tempo: Implement averaging? Tap to full chase length (user setting/quick key?) Tap rhythm? (Mystic)

23) Extract personalities from cache: Save cache to disk option. (Low_ID)

24) Max DMX channels by universe: Option to define according to output. (ChiekuRs)

25) Swop kill% master user setting: Option to define a value for non-'swopped' fixtures to drop to, instead of zero. (Mystic)

26) 'UnSwoppable' fixtures: Ability to define fixtures or DMX values as 'never lose on swop'. (Mystic)

27) Record by Fixture: new options - without Dimmer, without PT, without Dimmer&PT. (Oz)

28 ) 'Inverted' OFF: Turn off all but selected attribute. (ChiekuRs)

29) PB Swop as Add user setting: Change functionality of Swop in RMT. Useful for two flash intensities defined by masters. (nrdark92)

30) Other PB Add/Swop functionality: Such as start/stop chase. Possibly per PB defined by Edit Times menu. Could be combined with the above? (ChiekuRs)

31) VDU Fixture&Attributes: Make clear which values relate to which parameters, similarly in LCD if possible. (CoenCo)

32) Auto Show: Useful for support bands.

33) Auto Program: Useful when the soundcheck highlights 'issues'.

34) Some odds: I didn't quite understand! (vincent)

Other 'dream' stuff:

Combine chases - would be great, but obvious questions over chase length mis-match and duplicate LTP attribute priority etc.
    Memory/Chase/Shape to Preset - also nice, but would break the philosophy of the Pearl not to mention countless other issues.

+ Keep suggestions sensible - remember this is a software and not hardware wish-list. There are some considerable restrictions in the ageing Pearl not least the code space size and processor speed.

+ Keep to one suggestion per post, for easier viewing.

+ Make sure you are 100% familiar with the Pearl before jumping in with suggestions which may already be possible! If in doubt have a good look through the manual before posting.

+ Obviously ideas should be based on the latest build.

+ Try to avoid being vague. Make suggestions as specific as possible.

+ Don't stray 'off-topic' - this is not the place for criticism.

+ Double-check suggestion is not already in the list!

/Edit: Typo
/Edit2: Added compiled list with details. Removed some text. (2/5/06)
Last edited by niclights on 06 Aug 2010, 19:26, edited 9 times in total.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 26 Jan 2005, 13:02

Connect to Shapes function.

The ability to connect to PB's containing shapes in the same way you can with chases.
In doing this the wheels would automatically change to Speed/Size.

With the introduction of 'shapes in chases' I would suggest an extra soft-button in the connect menu for 'change wheels to size/speed'. (to complement the 'change wheels to xfade/speed' button)
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 26 Jan 2005, 13:07

Multiple Delete:

The ablility to delete a 'from/to' range of PB's in a similar fashion to that used in patching.

ie. Press [DELETE], press and hold the start PB Swop button, press the end PB Swop button. Confirmation option in screen Yes/No - [Enter] to confirm, [Exit] to cancel. Or something along those lines.

A considerable time-saving feature - 4 button presses to delete an entire page instead of 45.

/Edit: Could also be implemented for deleting Palettes via preset Add.
Last edited by niclights on 02 May 2006, 02:36, edited 1 time in total.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 26 Jan 2005, 13:10

Numerical Palette Delete:

The option to enter a numerical value to allow the deletion of palettes above 120 (and above 30/60 when not using palette paging)

Press [DELETE] - enter palette number, press [Enter] to confirm. Or just use delete function as normal.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 26 Jan 2005, 13:18

Remove Shapes for Selected Fixture in RTM:

There is currently no way to temporarily remove shapes whilst running a show.

This function would be useful for unexpected situations where you may need to override one or more moving fixtures to provide a static light, whilst wanting to keep all other fixtures moving.

Also handy if a fixture goes a bit nuts!

(Currently you can 'cheat' to achieve this by playing a circle shape with size/speed set to zero)

I'm not sure how this would be implemented - easy enough to make it a toggle function off the ML menu perhaps, but there may need to be a way to show which fixtures are currently excluded?
Last edited by niclights on 02 May 2006, 03:01, edited 1 time in total.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 26 Jan 2005, 13:24

Locate w/NO DIMMER:

Does what it says on the tin. To complement 'no Pan/Tilt'. Occasionally useful in emergencies when audience is in.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 26 Jan 2005, 13:32

Chase Legend in LCD screen:

It would be useful to see the legend (if set) of a connected chase in the LCD underneath the 'Page' legend.
Low_ID

Postby Low_ID » 01 Feb 2005, 09:10

Extract personalities from the Cache:

It could be good to have the posibility of extract the actual list of personalities in the Cache before introducing a new one in the desk.

In this way you could back-up the existing one in case you don't find your self-made disk, or copy the cache from one desk to another, for instance.
Low_ID
Vincent

Postby Vincent » 04 Feb 2005, 15:53

The page (or block size) functionality, like on the Diamond 2/3. Brilliant functionality.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Timing by attribute in chase/memory.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An extra time mode for controlling the speed or size of a shape using the fader.

Currently, when set to mode 2 (required) the position sometimes changes when moving the fader. Especially true when having two faders, 1 for the position and one for the shape.

Shape fade-in and fade-out times.

Currently set via LTP-times, but gives problems when having also P&T information.

When using the <Chase parameters> menu, the menu should be closed when using any other function such as legending, deleting, timings, connecting.

(Note - This post is an amalgamation of five consecutive posts for the purpose of simplifying. Posts remain un-edited and are separated by divider)/niclights
CoenCo

Postby CoenCo » 06 Feb 2005, 21:01

I'd like having the ability to "wheel" trough all dimmer/dmx channels (and setting them to say 80%) while patching dimmers, WITHOUT the need for an external monitor.
This way arranging all your dimmers on the desk while in a theatre or at some rock&roll gig that doesn't supply patch lists, is A LOT easier.

Implementation:
patch => dimmer => Make a new softkey called "wheel it in" or "locate while patching"

Note:
Having the ability to actually "wheel" it is not even my primary concern, even just a highlight for the addres I've just entered would be sufficient
Mystic

Tap tempo for each step or for total time.

Postby Mystic » 17 Feb 2005, 09:23

the tap-tempo works now to give the tempo for each step of a chase, a cool alternative would be to have a tap tempo where the resulting tempo is the global length of the chase. This could make it easier in some case where the tempo is fast and the chase has few steps.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems that the pearl calculates the tempo based on the time interval between two hits on the key, how about calculating it by interpolating many hits (3 is a safe bet, 4 is possible).

A better solution would be to do it and also calculate the deviation, and if it is too bad then fall back to the time interval of the last two keyhits.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I finally found what i would like as the tap tempo function. DO it as it is done on delays on the yamaha 01V : one button to tap tempo and one choice for the rythm generated by this tempo (full note, quarter, third, etc..) I think this is the right way to do it (if it is not patented). :)

(Note - This post is an amalgamation of three posts for the purpose of simplifying. Posts remain un-edited and are separated by divider)/niclights
CoenCo

Postby CoenCo » 11 Apr 2005, 23:18

Why can't i store palletes/focuses to the menu??
I can recall the menu from the "focus" key.. and thus load/apply everything, but i can't save to it..
For some shows I prepare stuff at home, like giving names to presets for colors, prisms and positions.. But if they don't match I have to go in the menu, find the number, create the focus and then enter the number in store-focus menu.. a bit tedious perhaps??

(edited to keep relevant to the feature requests)/niclights
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 23 May 2005, 00:06

Fixture override by attribute in RMT:

(As suggested by MichSuS)

The ability to take control of one or more attributes of a selected fixture which would take priority over any palettes or PB's.
The purpose of this is much the same as for the 'remove shapes for selected fixtures in RMT', although it's action is more similar to the 'reduce fixture intensity' function.
It would be important to make sure this could not be done by accident and [clear] should have no effect.
I'm not sure how it would be implemented, but using the reduce intensity button seems like a logical option.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 23 May 2005, 00:11

Program Mode - LCD Highlight (Inverse text) for selected fixtures:

When on an appropriate view, ie LCD Page 1, it would be neat to highlight the values of currently selected fixtures.

When you are using a large number of handles on a page, it would be handy to see which values in the screen relate to which fixture, simply by selecting them.
ChiekuRs

Postby ChiekuRs » 05 Jul 2005, 13:53

invert off function

similar to off function, but turns off all other parameters but one. like if a want to remove from programmer everything leaving only pan/tilt, i have to use off function lots of times.