Adding generic lights on vis

Welcome to the Avolites Visualiser Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Moderators

douglasward

Adding generic lights on vis

Postby douglasward » 14 Mar 2010, 13:05

Hi, i'm setting up a theatre to match the one i have at school so i can do programming at home. I've put in all the movers fine but am stuck on how to add generic lights?! i know you select them from the moving head menu but i can't seem to find any or get the LED par cans to become generic.... you help would be much appreciated :)
dougle
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 14 Mar 2010, 13:19

What do you mean by "get the LED par cans to become generic"?

A 'generic' light is a conventional - ie. just intensity. An LED can will normally be multiple channels and require a Vis file that matches these to the right bits for Vis to simulate.
The only exception I can think of would be a single colour (ie. white) LED fixture, in which case you can use standard generic, otherwise you need to know exact make/model and use the correct or equivalent fixture in Vis.
douglasward

Postby douglasward » 14 Mar 2010, 13:58

I don't know... some other guys were talking about it but don't worry.

I have found the generic light now on moving heads but how do you set the dimmer channel for it as i can't seem to link it to the desk?
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 14 Mar 2010, 16:25

Right-click on the fixture to access settings.
douglasward

Postby douglasward » 14 Mar 2010, 16:41

Yh i've got into the properties, but if i put as dmx line A channel 1 then it doesn't do anything when i put the fader up on the desk which is patched to dmx line A channel 1. The Dimmer option underneath is faded out. occasionly i've got it hasn't been faded out but then i can't get it to stay on dmx line A channel 1. :(

what settings do i need to input for it to work from the desk? and how do i do it?
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 14 Mar 2010, 18:00

When you say 'desk' I assume you're using the simulator? If so then make sure input is set to simulator on the radio buttons.
douglasward

Postby douglasward » 14 Mar 2010, 19:57

Yes, the simulator is connected with the vis and it all works fine for all the moving lights i have already inputed. There is no problem there and i have looked at the properties of the generic light.

The thing that isn;t working is the generic light. when you add one of these, do you need to give it a dimmer channel? If yes, then how do i do it? because it is greyed out so i can not input any values. I have tried giving it a dmx line and channel but this does not seem to work. Why am i not able to give it a dimmer channel?

occasionaly as i explained before i manage to input the values into the dimmer area on the properties box but i can't get the values to stay there every time i press apply or ok it changes to some random numbers instead of the letter and channerl number. It is really fustrating as i need to add generic lights and it is not letting me do so. am i doing something wrong or is it a program error?
douglasward

Postby douglasward » 14 Mar 2010, 22:06

I've just restarted it, and it seems to work fine now. Using a dmx line and channel number. What is the dimmer bit for then?
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 14 Mar 2010, 23:15

I don't know or can't remember. It might just be legacy or never have been used. Whichever I don't think it's important.
Gregory

Postby Gregory » 27 May 2010, 02:10

The dimmer address is for fixtures that have a pending dimmer, such as the VL5 for example, where the fixture and dimmer can be on separate addresses.
douglasward

Postby douglasward » 27 May 2010, 14:14

aaahhhh ok, cheers!
nybesp

Postby nybesp » 11 Mar 2011, 21:37

douglasward wrote:I don't know... some other guys were talking about it but don't worry.

I have found the generic light now on moving heads but how do you set the dimmer channel for it as i can't seem to link it to the desk?

Where in heavens name did you find the generic lights?? Did you find a normal parcan and a profile or a fresnell?? Or do you have to have the exact name of the producer??
Gregory

Postby Gregory » 11 Mar 2011, 21:43

Visualiser doesn't have separate personalities for different types of dimmers; there is just one personality shown in the moving light dialog called "Generic".

It is possible to change the size, colour and beam angle of the generic fixture to suit different situations.
nybesp

Postby nybesp » 13 Mar 2011, 19:30

Hey!
Thanks!!
Found the generic personality but wich one to use? And what does all mean??generic rgba rgba +vdim 8bit???rgba rgba x2+dimmer 16 bit??

Maybe i should visit avo stand at prolight+sound in april and let them show me a little bit!
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 13 Mar 2011, 19:48

Just use the one that is called 'generic'.

The other ones are designed to work with the associated personalities from the library that are used to get you out of trouble when a dedicated file does not exist.