Personality Library

For anything that doesn't belong in the other boards

Moderator: Moderators

mugsy

Personality Library

Postby mugsy » 21 Feb 2009, 20:37

This is probably a really silly question, but i have been trying to work out exactly how to do this for ages, so here it goes.

How do i download indervidual personalites from the Avolites personality library? I dont want to download all the disks, and the Cashe builder dosn't have the right personalities for me.

In the past, i have viewed the sourse, copied it into notepad and saved as .r20 files (i am using a pearl 2000), but when i come load the personality from the disk, it says that the disk is blank. Is there a differant way to save the personalities to a disk and if so - how do you do it?

Many thanks
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 22 Feb 2009, 03:00

That method should work. Make sure notepad isn't adding .txt to the end (use right-click/properties to check in case Windows is hiding the extension).
David.Hunt

Postby David.Hunt » 22 Feb 2009, 20:07

also please make sure that there is a copy of a file called sg.dat on the floppy disk as well otherwise no matter what format its in the console wont read it. To get hold of it just download any of the disks and extract it somewhere to get at the file
mugsy

Postby mugsy » 22 Feb 2009, 21:33

Hya

thanks for this, i have downloaded the disks and made sure i have the sg.dat file, i will test it out asap.

Thanks again
Pete_Paranoid

Postby Pete_Paranoid » 11 Mar 2009, 03:03

I'm having a similiar problem loading personality files on to an Azure 2000 for the first time. (MiniMac and Egox4.) I followed the instructions and unzipped it on to a disk before loading the console. The console said the disk was blank, so I tried using resaving the file and also using a different file.

Is there any way to load the console using the usb port or from an external CD drive? I couldn't find it in the manual and because 3.5 disks and disk drives are becoming rare.

I feel perplexed!
David.Hunt

Postby David.Hunt » 11 Mar 2009, 09:20

I will check the disk you are talking about on an azure here. Have you checked the floppy disk to make sure the files are all there?

Also as far as i am aware you cannot connect a USB stick or USB CD drive to patch off
Pete_Paranoid

Postby Pete_Paranoid » 17 Mar 2009, 03:31

Sure, that's not a problem. In fact, I'll start copying the source code and writing in manually to get used to programming for myself. Once I get the hang of it I can start sending the files in for you.
Pete_Paranoid

Postby Pete_Paranoid » 21 May 2009, 04:15

I am a member of Australasian Lighting Industry Association (ALIA Inc.) for 4 years, and I bought a new console in January and I am having trouble softpatching it. At first I asked the manufacture’s forum for help, but they told me to check the file was complete, I then went to the distributor that I bought it from, still no luck.
I have a new console and I have not used it once!

What would you do?
Pete_Paranoid

Postby Pete_Paranoid » 05 Jun 2009, 14:14

Pete_Paranoid wrote:I am a member of Australasian Lighting Industry Association (ALIA Inc.) for 4 years, and I bought a new console in January and I am having trouble softpatching it. At first I asked the manufacture’s forum for help, but they told me to check the file was complete, I then went to the distributor that I bought it from, still no luck.
I have a new console and I have not used it once!

What would you do?

On the other hand I have had it in for service twice, once to fix faulty wiring, the second time to replace the disk drive.
I have another competitor's desk it is about 1/3rd the size, power, price but in terms of practicality it's smashing it to pieces.
David.Hunt

Postby David.Hunt » 08 Jun 2009, 12:31

What problems are you getting with softpatching?

It can be personality related but i will have to look at the personality in order to see what is wrong
Pete_Paranoid

Postby Pete_Paranoid » 20 Jun 2009, 13:40

Don’t bother, after finally getting around to the desk after all the other crap I have to do in my life, the FDD which was supposed to be fixed now works even worse and *browns out* and resets the console whenever I try to use it. Going to the distributor/Department of Fair Trading for my rights to get a refund. Congratulations, in my 7 years in business I have never come across equipment so troublesome and stressful, even cut price Chinese made equipment works better, ripped off dud desk!:cry:
iadwm

Postby iadwm » 26 Jun 2009, 01:55

Pete_Paranoid wrote:cut price Chinese made equipment works better,

Sorry, but that is just a nonsense statement!

But I do understand your frustration at having a new product that isn't working properly...and that should be be up to the firm that sold you the desk to sort out. If they are a legit Avo agent, then you should take this further, but not via a public forum, I don't think you will reach the people you need to here.

Electronic equipment wont ever be completely 100% reliable (will it ever be? Can it ever be?), there will always be something that will go wrong for someone. Hell, if the Military and NASA can have problems, we sure can!

I have had problems with the FDD on my Pearl, but that's not Avo's fault, they didn't manufacture the drive. Had my Pearl been under guarantee when it failed, I'm sure they would have done everything in their power to put it right. In the UK, this company has a reputation for going the extra mile when it comes to service and support. If there are overseas representatives that are failing in these areas, I'm sure they would want to hear about it, but via a factual account and not a rant.

You didn't actually say if you had checked if the sg.dat file was on your disk or not? There have been odd occasions, when this file has been missing from certain files on the downloads site. Two occasions that I recall... server problems caused the site to revert to an old version and another time the file was omitted from the compressed personalty disks after an update. Both of these problems were corrected quickly and were a long time ago. My point is that it's worth checking.

Hopefully this hasn't put you off Avo consoles and it's worth remembering that they didn't become one of the top lighting controller manufacturers world wide for nothing. There is a strong industry supported reason for this!

I hope you get you problem resolved to a satisfactory conclusion -whatever that may be. And if you're wondering, I don't work for Avo !
Just a very happy end user, who still has occasional problems, just like everyone else.

Regards,

Andy
"It's the prospect of hearing something that you could never have dreamed existed"
John Peel

www.iadwm.com