Re Patch fixture

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

iadwm

Re Patch fixture

Postby iadwm » 22 Apr 2008, 12:58

I would be most grateful if someone could confirm this issue I've recently revisited. For a long time I assumed that <Re Patch fixture> only worked for fixtures and NOT dimmers - the function is called Re patch fixture and not re patch dimmer after all.

With all the talk of re patching dimmers in the recent "deleting dimmers" thread I tied again and couldn't get it to work. No problem in moving a fixture, but try the same thing with a dimmer and the desk says "no fixture found".

So is it meant to work or not? And when (as in the other thread) the process of re patching a dimmer is referred to, are you actually patching from new, as opposed to re patching an existing dimmer...

And while I'm at it....moving fixture (or dimmer) to a new handle. That doesn't work either. I'm sure I've used this function, but it may not have been on my desk. It (my desk) certainly isn't letting me now!

Cheers,

Andy
"It's the prospect of hearing something that you could never have dreamed existed"
John Peel

www.iadwm.com
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 22 Apr 2008, 15:28

You cannot move handles.

You cannot use 'repatch' to move dimmers.

However, there is a way. Delete dimmer by DMX forces 'park address'. Now patch new dimmer onto parked handle. Memories will still remember values for the handle and now send data on new address. This works across universes too.

Note you cannot patch a fixture over the top in this way.

Another handy trick I recently learned is for updating personality info.

I was interested in updating macros for some VL's without losing programming & unsure whether the 'update personality' function permitted this. (the realisation that the Expert seems to no longer have this option made it largely irrelevant anyway!)

Turns out you can do this by patching a new version of the personality (obviously with same name etc.) to a new handle/address. This automatically then updates all existing handles that match.

Clearly this might be a naughty thing and possibly could cause corruption, but certainly the macro update worked well. One of the biggest benefits to many could be for adding PFTable info. A colleague told me this updates the dimmer curve but I could not achieve this on the Expert.
iadwm

Postby iadwm » 22 Apr 2008, 17:17

Thanks Nic!

Presumably the option to move a fixture to another handle was in an older software version. Which is why I remember using it and (more confusingly) why it's still mentioned in the manual :shock:

Cheers,

Andy
"It's the prospect of hearing something that you could never have dreamed existed"

John Peel

www.iadwm.com
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 22 Apr 2008, 22:47

I don't recall there ever being such a function.

The reference in the manual explains how you can patch a fixture with an address in use to a new handle, but all programming will be lost.
Doing this will park the original handle & programming data remains associated with this, but there is no way to make use of it or the park (unlike with dimmers). So I fail to understand why this exists at all.

Move fixture handle as in delete original, lose programming data, choose fixture and patch to new handle. Sounds the same to me!
iadwm

Postby iadwm » 22 Apr 2008, 23:55

My memory is not what it used to be - lots of fragmentation going on! - so it's probable that I'm making it up (moving a fixture to a new handle) and things getting mixed up over time with re-patch.

Anyway, pondering over why a non-working function may have existed doesn't seem good use of our time !

Thanks again,

Andy

John Peel

www.iadwm.com