[Bug] Synergy attribute selection.

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

TWC

[Bug] Synergy attribute selection.

Postby TWC » 03 Sep 2020, 16:25

Hi sorry I've been working I shows :D so not had a chance to play. But now I'm back on it.

I'm not sure if it's a bug or just some general weirdness with the user interface but when you select certain attributes on synergy in the attribute editor workspace, the control of this attribute remains conncted to the wheels even if you press clear and select an entirely different group or fixture. For example the image zoom or the in/out frame and various others where the attribute is selected by tapping the value rather than using the attribute bank keys, ive got image zoom with a programmer value still in the top softkey position but have not selected a completely different group instead which has no zoom attribute but it's still remaining. It doesn't do it when you use the on screen slider to input a value, only when you tap the numerical value next to the slider and use the wheel or the @ key next the the wheel to set a value. If you type a value and press enter it seems to work ok or if you press enter after the wheel entry it works ok.

The other thing to note is that the usual coarse value entry function (avo+wheel) does not work on these attribute types either. It's not confined to the image zoom attribute it's the ones where the attribute is nested inside another group of controls. Sorry I'm not a programmer i don't know how to describe this properly.
Avo Machine - v14
Titan Mobile + Fader Wing
Dell Optiplex 7010usff
i7, ssd, 8GB, Intel Hd4000

Capture Machine
2020 Symphony - 2020.0.53
AMD A7, ssd, 32GB, nVidia RTX3060 Eagle

Ai Media Server - 12.1
r6 + 2x Datapath DVI capture cards + Genlock module.
niclights
The eManual

Re: Synergy attribute selection.

Postby niclights » 03 Sep 2020, 16:57

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to look into and report this.

Apologies if I have misunderstood but I believe this may be functioning as designed.

If you are referring to the 'Adjust Attribute Value' menu (accessed by pressing the wheel @ button or touching the middle of the wheel display) then this will persist until it is terminated with <enter>, <exit>, Clear or by selecting any of the softkey options other than [Select Function]. I think this is potentially useful as you could, say, deliberately keep this menu open focussed on a particular control, perhaps in the 'Adjust Value' submenu ([Select Function]) while adjusting other controls via the wheels or Attribute Editor. I can't imagine this doing any harm. Perhaps you could argue it should automatically track the last edited control but I'm not sure that is what you would want. Regarding Clear it may also be worth mentioning that when in this menu pressing clear will intentionally only remove the focussed control from the programmer and will not remove any other controls or clear the fixture selection (this is equivalent to pressing the [Clear] softkey and provides a quick way to remove a selected control from the programmer, for example wheel @ -> Clear). This could make it seem as if it is not working (particularly the fact that it doesn't clear the fixture selection).

Regarding fast wheels (Avo+Wheel) I believe this is only intended to affect adjusting the value of range within a particular function. For example a Dimmer will typically have one function with a variable range running from 0->100%. Holding the Avo key and turning the wheel will get you quickly to 0 or 100%. However, I don't think it is supposed to affect the selection of functions themselves. For example if you have a list of gobos in a gobo control these will all be non-variable controls so they have no value to adjust and instead the wheel is just moving from one gobo to the next. In this case I think fast wheels is not relevant. Perhaps it could be but in small lists of functions such as gobos I don't think it would be much use (you would likely just end up at open or the last gobo) and in large lists such as media it probably makes more sense to use the Attribute Editor.
TWC

Postby TWC » 03 Sep 2020, 17:13

It just struck me as slightly odd that the wheel was still controlling a fixture which was no longer selected. It wasn't what I was expecting to happen that's for sure. I assumed the data entry would self terminate without having to press enter which is the logic that all other non command line entry uses.

Perhaps I'm over thinking all this stuff. I am still a novice with Ai and synergy but I was assuming that it works the same as other fixtures.

Regards, Tom.
Avo Machine - v14
Titan Mobile + Fader Wing
Dell Optiplex 7010usff
i7, ssd, 8GB, Intel Hd4000

Capture Machine
2020 Symphony - 2020.0.53
AMD A7, ssd, 32GB, nVidia RTX3060 Eagle

Ai Media Server - 12.1
r6 + 2x Datapath DVI capture cards + Genlock module.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 03 Sep 2020, 18:01

I haven't noticed any different behaviour with Synergy fixtures compared to other fixtures in this regard.

Are you sure you are still controlling a fixture that is not selected? If so it may be useful if you could provide steps to repeat, preferably from a new show. It may be easier to try and reproduce this without Synergy first. If you can then this would be simpler to detail. Of course if it turns out that it only happens with Synergy then that would be significant.

Regarding termination of the 'Adjust Attribute Value' menu I don't think there is any way you could do this as you would have to have a certain amount of time allowed to enter the value. For example if you type 5 do you want 5 or are you going to add a 0 so that it's 50?
PBudd

Postby PBudd » 03 Sep 2020, 18:06

Hi,

I would agree with Tom that this does not seem correct. Steps to my mind are as follows:
1. Start a new show
2. Patch an Avolites Media -> AI V10 fixture in 100 channel mode
3. Select the fixture
4. Open Attribute editor and click on Image control.
5. Select the value box above the Image control fader
6. Press Clear
Console is still in the set a value menu. Changing the value has no effect. Clear should have exited the menu.

This does not seem quite right. I will put in a bug to this effect.

Peter Budd
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 03 Sep 2020, 18:18

Apologies. I did wonder if I might have been looking at something different.