Software up dates

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

SLS

Software up dates

Postby SLS » 10 May 2019, 16:55

What is going on with all these software updates to correct 'bugs' in not correctly tested versions. This now getting tiresome and frustrating. It now also asks the question of how many more bugs the updates introduce trying to fix bugs in present version. I am loosing confidence in Avolites to deliver a version that I can depend onto work and not pop up some strange bug in mid show. May be a trip back to version 6.0 oh but that also had bugs too!
Where will this all leading in the name of improvements, just take stock don't push for latist gismo give us uses a chance to use the software for at least a year or more then make one change don't tinker round the 'bugs'
sideshowbond

Re: Software up dates

Postby sideshowbond » 10 May 2019, 18:03

a) a specific software version you are talking about?
b) any bug in specific?

Generally as a beta tester I can assure you that the guys at Avo work hard to avoid new bugs creeping into new versions. However as with all software there will always be bugs. Some more some less critical. If you encounter a bug best would be to submit a helpdesk ticket and go with the guys at Avo from there. It is highly unlikely that we find all of them during pre release testing (although as well we work very hard to do so).

Sometimes bugs are also linked to showfiles which can be ever so slightly corrupted which might not be clear in one version but in another (believe me I had that a couple of times). Again best then is to submit the showfile in question so the guys at Avo can have a poke at it.

Anyhow a random rant will not solve anything. It just fuels the fire. And I'd rather have more updates with more bugfixes even if that means that for every 5 bugs fixed there might be one new one. That's still 4 bugs less...I understand your frustration but we're all in this together and point and shout unfortunately doesn't get us anywhere.
SLS

Postby SLS » 10 May 2019, 22:15

I too have been a beta tester and no this is not a rant so please do not act like it is, I am just calling for sanity check on progress for progress sake. In some ways your comments are almost a way of curving open and free discussion on what is a forum, on which you should be allowed to have an opinion and hopefully build a better stable platform on which all level of uses have confidence. I gladly appreciate how much effort is put in to testing and fully understand the gains but let's go forward as Avolites uses not in opposition's. After all it's only my opinion.
Regards
sideshowbond

Postby sideshowbond » 11 May 2019, 08:16

You don't have to do an update and if you feel not to update for a year so you can work with the same version you're invited to do so. However what you call "tinker round the bugs" others call development. Best seen on versions 11/11.1/11.3 where a lot of stuff has been fixed without introducing the latest gismo (if you are willing to read the release notes you will see yourself). And if you still think that is wrong there is very little I can help you with as my opinion drastically differs from yours.

Yes, possibly these releases introduce new bugs but again: for every 5 bugs fixed 1 new one? I'll take that. I mean look at your phone: would you like to have an old iphone 4s which still works but is hopefully outdated. As happy as I was about Titan 5 as glad I am now I don't have to work on it any longer...

By the way I am not trying to curve a discussion but I am indeed reading your post as rant which is - as I mentioned - not getting us anywhere. And to be honest: updates and point releases are something I will definitely not change my opinion on.

PS: other manufacturers introduce new bugs with updates just the same ( I work on MA and Hog on a regular basis). Some bugs more some less critical. And if you're losing confidence in Avolites it'd be best to have a look over to what is going to be MA3. Maybe by the time I retire...
SLS

Postby SLS » 11 May 2019, 10:06

Point taken, I might sound negative and yes I have the choice to stay put on one version. I think that the Avolites platform is the fastest programing I can find and love it. I am at HM London westend all of August running 8 shows every Sunday and only getting to see the show on one tech rehearsal in Which I have to program in almost real time and every show after has to be identical as they are filmed. So 32 shows no pre program and Avolites is the only that can do it. So I shut up and let you guys get on with the updates, but please let's keep this a place were all views are good and not ment to distract from greater good. Keep the faith Avolites !
sideshowbond

Postby sideshowbond » 12 May 2019, 10:17

8 Shows a day sounds rather radical :) All the best with it!
SLS

Postby SLS » 12 May 2019, 10:46

Yes it's stage school, 450-500 kids in 8 shows a day, They are fantastic in organising it but woo what a head ache. I am looking for an avo op to help this year so I don't have to run every show myself. So if anyone fancy a few Sundays at Her Magestys vin West end , it's 9.00- 9.00pm with 1 he get in and out. Busy days.