Cue List Tracking after Copying Cues

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

gar.george

Cue List Tracking after Copying Cues

Postby gar.george » 05 Apr 2019, 21:46

Hi All

I'm wondering whether this is a bug or an oversight (or entirely intentional behaviour) so open to others opinions...

If I make a new cue list, with some cues (let's say 1 - 4) and then copy 2-3 to the end of the stack (5 and 6) what I end up with is cues 2 to 3 having values for all parameters of fixtures. Where originally in my first cue I have values for everything and dimmer at full, then only colour in cue 2 and then another colour change in cue 3.

Issue for me:
I go into cue 1, decide to grab fixtures and put the dimmer at half then update cue 1.

Result:
Cue 1 -- fixtures at half
Cue 2 -- fixtures at half
Cue 3 -- fixtures at half
Cue 4 -- fixtures at half
Cue 5 -- fixtures at full
Cue 6 -- fixtures at full

See what I'm getting at? The frustrating bit here is that if I then put them at half again in cue 5 and update that, cue 6 will still send them to full. So I have to keep chasing the information forward or do a RECORD CUE X THRU Y MERGE (which can end pretty badly if I had forgotten about some changes further down the stack...)

I can pop into cue view, and see exactly why it's resulted in that. When copying a cue, it doesn't copy the information that is actually in the cue, but the information cumulatively up until that cue. Which essentially is like every copied cue is a block cue.

I feel like what needs to happen here is some clever stuff in the background when a cue is copied. The information gathered in the same way (cumulatively working out the end result), but then when it's "pasted" in it dumps out all the information which isn't a change from the previous cue. So in my example here it wouldn't result in having intensity information.

--

Alternatively, maybe a "clean up" tool we could run on cue stacks that searches through for redundant data if you are using expecting information to track?

My end goal is cue stacks that are "tidier" in terms of the information stored in them. When working on larger show files that are built upon and built upon (tour to tour, song changes, rig changes) it can become a bit of a mess as it is.

Thoughts?

George
Gregory

Re: Cue List Tracking after Copying Cues

Postby Gregory » 05 Apr 2019, 21:56

When you copy the cues what do you have softkey C set to? If it is set to Copy Tracked Values then all values in the cue whether tracked or hard values will be copied to the new cue where they will all become hard values. If it is set to Don't Copy Tracked Values then only the hard values in the source cue will be copied to the new cue. In either case where there is not a hard value in the new cue it will track any values from the cues before it (assuming you do not set the cue to Block).
gar.george

Postby gar.george » 08 Apr 2019, 18:50

Thanks Greg - So I just had a play with that option and it provides some middle ground but then doesn't necessarily solve the problem for me...

Another example...

Q1 - group 1 at full, position 1, in cyan.
Q2 - group 1 red.
Q3 - group 1 position 2.
Q4 - group 1 cyan.

If I wanted Q5 to now be a copy of Q3, I could copy with tracked values and get the problem of not being able to track other changes through that cue. Or I could copy without tracked values but then group 1 would still be cyan when I want it to be red (as the colour is tracked from Q2)... which generally makes copying it without tracked values in this instance not very helpful.

I've also tried using include instead of copying and I get closer to the behaviour I'd like.

Including Q3 and then Recording Cue 5 results in Q5 having group 1 in red, in position 2. And all other values remain empty allowing it to track. However.... the values that were tracked information in Q3 (the colour info in this case) loose their palette reference. So I actually have the following in Q5 -- group 1 in red (hard values), in position 2 (with palette reference). This might explain why I find random values in some cue lists that have lost their palette references.

Hopefully that explains what I'm hoping for, and why it currently doesn't quite work for me?

Cheers
George
Gregory

Postby Gregory » 09 Apr 2019, 19:56

I think I understand what you are asking for and unfortunately at the moment what is copied is determined effectively at the point you select your source cue (depending on the Copy Tracked Values setting) so where the cue is pasted to does not effect what is recorded. As I understand it at the point you select a destination for the copied cue you would like the software to compare the values in the previous cue to those being copied and attempt to keep values as tracked where they are the same. It is probably worth adding this to the Ideas and Features section of the website.