Titan One in a VM?

Welcome to the Avolites TitanOne Support Forum

Moderator: Moderators

funkyant

Titan One in a VM?

Postby funkyant » 19 Feb 2019, 20:54

I'm about to try to make a VMware virtual machine with the intent of running Titan One, that will run on vSphere (dell blades) and was wondering if anybody else has already done it?

I/d like to use ARTnet. The dongle will just be a dongle, not an output. The USB port/ dongle is about the only thing that might trip me up.
sideshowbond

Re: Titan One in a VM?

Postby sideshowbond » 19 Feb 2019, 23:05

Titan doesn't run in a VM
funkyant

Postby funkyant » 19 Feb 2019, 23:10

Not that I don't believe you, but I've got a lot of software running in a VM that everyone says doesn't run in a VM, so I intend to try anyway :)

Hardware passthrough on bare metal hypervisor has come a long way.
sideshowbond

Postby sideshowbond » 20 Feb 2019, 08:05

go ahead and try if you want. I tried with Virtual Box and I know why it doesn't work but as I signed an NDA I cannot tell you. Just as much as: Parallels works (not on purpose, more by accident) but any other VM will fail to my knowledge.
funkyant

Postby funkyant » 20 Feb 2019, 08:32

Thanks for the info.

I'm not trying to run it on a Mac, I want to run it on a proper bare metal VM in a venue which has almost every other production machine running in a VM.

Basically, we don't want to run a separate machine just for one application.

It's a shame, because we have 2 tiger touches and wanted to keep the architectural fixtures on titan as well, but maybe I'll need to look at a competing solution. I believe ChamSYS will run on a VM in Linux.

For now I'll continue to attempt to get Titan One running, but as you predicted, I can't even get the simulator to run.
sideshowbond

Postby sideshowbond » 21 Feb 2019, 08:26

I understand where you're coming from but unfortunately I cannot give you the answaers you were hoping for. If I was you I'd contact technical support and maybe sales at Avo and see if there is a way they can help you.
Yoshi

Postby Yoshi » 09 Apr 2019, 13:20

As i Understand you have problems mapping the Titan Dongle to your VM.

We use in our Company SEH dongle Servers for Softwares with license dongle, but for one dongle very Expensive. This allows you to share Any USB Device located in the Dongle Server to VM or Physical Hardware.

The other option is VMware USB Passthrough which should be Avilable von vSphere/ESXi
funkyant

Postby funkyant » 10 Apr 2019, 08:19

Hi Yoshi,

I'm totally guessing here, but I'd say the dongles were being reverse engineered using a similar method and, as a result, Titan has been designed to not start when it detects certain environment variables that indicate it's running in a VM.

I could not even get the Simulator (no dongle required) to start in any VM environment.

We ended up using Chamsys in an Ubuntu VM and after a few weeks of testing, seems to be doing what we want.

James