How to work on a showfile without console

For anything that doesn't belong in the other boards

Moderator: Moderators

ItsLit86

How to work on a showfile without console

Postby ItsLit86 » 23 Jan 2019, 09:10

Greetings,

I am a bit confused on how to obtain the titan software so I can work on a showfile without the console. I do not own an avolites console but work on them regularly.

I did download the software and request the license but when I input the data and open the software it says I must be plugged into a console. I also did that but because I do not own the console that's where I become stalled. All I want is to be able to use the software in full so I can import a showfile, work on the file, then export it so I can use it remotely.
niclights
The eManual

Re: How to work on a showfile without console

Postby niclights » 23 Jan 2019, 10:58

Download and install Titan PC Suite and then use Titan Simulator. You do not need any hardware to use Titan Simulator but there is an occasional 'spoiler' on the output.

When you launch Titan Simulator you can choose which console to simulate. The consoles have a Virtual Panel to represent the hardware controls. I recommend using TitanOne as it is designed to be used on a PC and then switch to one of the consoles if you need to access specific things like the playback faders or macro/executor buttons.

Make sure you use a software version number that is equal to or lower than the version in the console you will be using - the showfiles are not currently backwards compatible.
ItsLit86

Postby ItsLit86 » 24 Jan 2019, 05:23

Thank you so much! About to check this out now.

Just one more question. In the simulator, can I import a showfile?
sideshowbond

Postby sideshowbond » 24 Jan 2019, 08:02

Of course you can. You'll see how when you start the software.
ItsLit86

Postby ItsLit86 » 24 Jan 2019, 17:03

My process is as follows: System Disk - Import Show - Show Browser - Internal Drive. I get stopped there. I see no option to find my files, there is only a demo show file available. I have the show file on my desktop and also have it via a flash drive. Do I need to store my file somewhere else to make it accessible?
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 24 Jan 2019, 18:10

I suspect you probably want to load show rather than import (DISK, [Load Show]). But, in either case you won't find it on the desktop. If using Usb ensure it is in the root. If on PC it needs to be in My Documents\Titan\Shows.
ItsLit86

Postby ItsLit86 » 25 Jan 2019, 00:52

Thank you everyone for your input. I finally got things loaded.

Which leads me to another question about the visualizer. When I select this it's workspace is blank. Is there some type of backend work I need to do to activate this?
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 25 Jan 2019, 10:09

Firstly, if you haven't already, make sure your personalities are up-to-date by downloading and installing the latest Titan Fixture Library. Instructions and links can be found on the personality website here. Direct link here. If Titan is running you will then need to close and relaunch.

The next step is to check if a particular fixture currently has Capture support. After installing the latest library (and restarting Titan if necessary) you can check this in Titan either via the Patch View window/Personalities tab where fixture modes with Capture support are indicated in the Capture column or via the Patch menu where supported modes will have a Capture logo in the softkey. Alternatively you can check on the personality website by clicking on the Titan (.d4) filename to view the personality. Personalities with Capture support are indicated with a 'C' icon at the top of the page immediately underneath 'View Source' (usually alongside 'P', 'M' and 'R' which represent preset palettes, macros and RDM where applicable).

Where a fixture does have Capture support the best way to confirm everything is installed and simulating correctly is to try patching in a new show. It should automatically appear in the integrated Capture Visualiser window and light when located. A good basic test is to patch a dimmer and the locate. If it doesn't automatically appear and light on locate then there is a problem with the installation.

If a particular fixture does not currently have Capture support please submit a request via the form on the personality website here and select 'Capture (.c2o)' from the Desk Type options. Please note that in order to produce accurate Capture simulations in addition to full DMX mapping information we also require various details about the fixture such as photometric data (ie. lamp source/power/beam angle or zoom range in degrees and how it relates to the associated DMX control), physical drawings/dimensions and, where relevant, default pan/tilt ranges and calibration, high quality gobo images including how they relate to wheel/slot numbers (unfortunately photographs cannot be used), pixel layouts and framing shutter calibration. The fixture manufacturer's should be able to provide all of the relevant details and usually it will be included in the fixture manual and/or product webpage. If the information can be found online it would be helpful if you can include a link in the notes section of the request form. If the information is not available online please attach relevant documentation to the request form. Note that the request form currently only permits one .pdf or .zip format file no larger than 3MB per request. You can find further information about Capture Visualiser requests and requirements here.

If you are using a showfile containing fixtures that you have confirmed have Capture support but are not automatically appearing in the integrated Capture Visualiser first check that Auto-Update is turned on in the show page of the Capture Settings window. It is likely that you will need to update older personalities. You can do this by going to PATCH, [Edit Fixtures], [Update Personality], [<fixture name>]. If at this point it prompts that it cannot find a matching mode select the appropriate mode from the softkey options (note that this will only work in Titan v11.0 and above). Finally, if, after updating a personality, the fixture still does not appear in the integrated Capture Visualiser window, try patching another instance of the fixture while the Capture Visualiser window is open. This should force it to refresh, after which you can delete the extra fixture.
ItsLit86

Postby ItsLit86 » 25 Jan 2019, 17:31

So after going through all of this I am realizing that the capture visualizer box isn't even showing up in the workspace. the other workspaces are just going away when I select visualizer. I am on V11.1 and I did follow your instructions and update the fixture library, including checking my fixtures for compatibility.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 25 Jan 2019, 18:48

The most likely explanation is that it is opening on another display. Try pressing the System button, then select the [Display Setup] softkey then toggle softkey A so that it reads [External Display Disconnected]. Alternatively you can manipulate open windows via the 'Window Options' menu (View button, [Window Options] softkey). Press the [Select Window] softkey then [Capture Visualiser] to select the Capture Visualiser window. Then try the [Move Screen] softkey to move between dispays and/or [Min or Max] or [Size and Position] (the latter cycles through quarter and half window options).
ItsLit86

Postby ItsLit86 » 25 Jan 2019, 19:27

Thank you! That did work. Now I just have to get light on. I will go back through the steps you suggested earlier.
ItsLit86

Postby ItsLit86 » 07 Feb 2019, 16:30

Hello everyone,

As you can see from my never ending thread, I am an avo newb, and working through some aspects of the software that confuse me. This forum has been a GREAT help! So thank you in advance.

The next thing I need to accomplish is placing the fixtures correctly in the fixtures workspace so they show up correctly in the visualizer. For some reason in this showfile I was given, the fixtures are scattered about in the fixture workspace but patched correctly. Is there a way to edit and move a labeled fixture in the fixture workspace so the layout matches what would be on my stage?
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 07 Feb 2019, 17:06

Other than when they are first patched there is no relationship between the location of fixture handles and their placement in the integrated visualiser.

You can move handles around the workspace by pressing MOVE then select the source handle(s) followed by destination location. Note that the layout depends on the window size. It can sometimes be helpful to fix the number of rows and columns in the window appearance settings so that the layout is maintained.

To adjust the position and orientation of selected fixture(s) in the visualiser toggle the wheel mode to 'Visualiser' on softkey G of the root menu and then use the wheels connected to the position attribute bank (P). Note that you can page through position, orientation and rotation controls by selecting the position attribute bank button.
ItsLit86

Postby ItsLit86 » 07 Feb 2019, 18:26

Thank you for this!

I have fixtures on the floor and fixtures downstage that will be focused upstage. How would I rotate these?
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 07 Feb 2019, 19:42

As I mentioned above you can change the orientation of selected fixtures via the wheels when they are set to Visualiser mode. If they are fixtures with remote motorised pan/tilt then you should orientate them to match the real-world by using the fixture display as a reference point (denoted in Capture by a rectangle one side of the base) and then focus them with the pan/tilt attributes. If they do not have remotely controllable position then use the Capture orientation controls to focus them.