How to add fixtures to titan one dongle

For anything that doesn't belong in the other boards

Moderator: Moderators

impy2

How to add fixtures to titan one dongle

Postby impy2 » 10 Jan 2019, 17:55

Hi,
Sorry I'm new to this. I've watched loads of You tube videos but can't get my head around it. Is there simple instructions or a some video that will explain easily how to put dmx codes in to get the lights to work. Is this dongle really for a beginner or do I need someone to program it for me?
Cheers
Steve
Leifi72

Re: How to add fixtures to titan one dongle

Postby Leifi72 » 12 Jan 2019, 13:33

I am not exactly sure what you mean, but you need to patch your fixtures in the PC suite, and make sure to give the fixtures the same adresses. then what you do in the software should apply to the fixtures.
impy2

Postby impy2 » 19 Jan 2019, 17:02

Still am lost. I go into new show, then patch and patch view. Then you search for generic dimmer. At this stage do you press patch generic dimmer? This puts it in line 1 and dmx address 1. What do I do then? I've tried putting in the brand of lights and model. Do I need to put in a different address for each lamp? Tried everything. I get some to light with strobe on. I don't know is this because they are not on the right dmx address? If I can't sort this soon I'll have to buy a basic consul and scrap the idea of using a computer. Pity because this titan dongle came highly recommended. Any help greatly appreciated.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 19 Jan 2019, 17:06

What fixtures are you trying to control (manufacturer and model name)?
impy2

Postby impy2 » 19 Jan 2019, 19:27

Manufacturer is QTX. Model ZP18
These.are listed ok. I think about 4 times on the list.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 19 Jan 2019, 21:21

Please try the following:

- Take just one fixture, set the DMX address 001 (according to the fixture manual press the mode button until the display reads 'dMX' then press enter then use the up/down buttons until the display reads d.001 then enter) then set the mode to STAG (press the mode button until the display reads 'PERS' then use the up down buttons until the display reads 'STAG' then press enter).

- Start TitanOne.
- Press the DISK button, then select [New Show] from the softkey menu, then select [Ok] from the softkey menu then press the EXIT button. (this starts a new show with default settings)

- Connect the fixture to the dongle using a known working DMX cable.

- Press the SYSTEM button then select [DMX Settings] from the softkey menu. (this will open the DMX Settings window - normally this will not be necessary but we want to be sure as you have just started using it and the output might not be assigned)
- In the DMX Lines section on the right-hand side of the DMX Settings window there should be 'DMX Output A' under Line 1.
- If there is not we need to assign it - In the Available Dmx Nodes section on the left-hand side of the DMX Settings window you should find 'Dmx Output A' under ExpertDmx. If you cannot see this click on the down arrow to the left of ExpertDmx to expand the nodes. Once you can see it select 'Dmx Output A' under ExpertDmx and then select Line 1 in the DMX Lines section. This will assign DMX Output A (the physical DMX output on the dongle) to Line 1 (this is what you will be patching to in the console). You should now see 'Dmx Output A' under Line 1 in the DMX Lines section.
- Press the EXIT button to close the DMX Settings window and exit the System menu.

- Press the PATCH button.
- Select [Fixtures] from the softkey menu.
- Select [QTX Light] from the softkey menu. (you can get there quickly by typing in a search to filter, for example 'Q' or 'QTX')
- Select [ZP18] from the softkey menu. (again you can type in a search to filter, for example 'Z')
- Select [STAG, 13 DMX] from the softkey menu.
- Select [Patch] from the softkey menu. (this will patch 1x QTX Light ZP18 in STAG mode to line 1 at address 001 and assign it to the first 'handle' in the FIxtures window. Note that Line 1 and address 001 were already set by default. We also could have done this from the Patch View window.)

- Press the EXIT button a few times until the softkey menu has [Edit Times] at the top.
- Click on the 'ZP18' handle at the top-left of the Fixtures window. (this will select the fixture)
- Press the LOCATE button. (the fixture should light in white)
- Press the VIEW button and then the OPTION button. (this is a shortcut to open the Attribute Editor window)
- In the section on the left-hand side of the Attribute Editor window select the 'Colour Mix' bank (this will open the colour picker in the Attribute Editor window)
- Click in the colour picker and drag the pointer around. (this should change the fixture colour)

Hopefully that will get you going. If available try connecting more fixtures in a chain, setting them to the correct address and mode and patching to match. Then you could try recording things that you set in the Attribute Editor (at a basic level just press the RECORD button and the select the blue button above one of the playback faders).
impy2

Postby impy2 » 19 Jan 2019, 21:38

Great. Thanks. I will try that. Only thing is I have 12 of these lights. They are up about 30 feet so a cherry picker needed to adjust them. The settings are all set according to the instructions. Starting at dmx 001. Then 16 spaces between each address. They are all set to dmx.
The other thing is this is a dongle I'm using on a computer. It's not a latest consule. In the instructions I found online it kept saying the first thing to do was find this generic dimmer. I'll let you know how I get on.
Thanks
Steve
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 19 Jan 2019, 21:58

Ok, don't worry about accessing the fixtures. My instructions will still work ok. The only thing that we are assuming is the mode. I picked the mode that I felt was the most common one to use in this case. If the fixtures are not set to 'STAG' mode then you will need to select the mode they are set to when you get to that step of the patching section.

I'm aware you are using the dongle and have written the steps specifically with that in mind although most of them are applicable to any platform as the software is effectively the same. The only difference is the control surface. Sometimes we might refer to console but this can mean a PC as well as a stand-alone console.

I think the instructions you are referring to are the quick start guide. I can see why this might be confusing. I will discuss whether it could be improved.
impy2

Postby impy2 » 20 Jan 2019, 20:59

Hi,
I got one light working and colour changing. Thanks for that. I cannot get anymore added though. I went back to the patch button. Select fixtures. Put in brand and model. Select stag . Now there is no patch on soft keys. It says patch qtx. Then you put in line 2 and dmx code. I did this for the 12 lights. They are all listed there with their codes but still only one lights. What am I doing wrong? Sorry for the hassle.
Steve
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 20 Jan 2019, 21:42

You should not be changing the line number. It needs to be Line 1 as we have assigned the physical output to that line. The others lines are not assigned to an output (TitanOne is limited to just one anyway).

Make sure DMX Line = 1 and then set the address for each fixture as required.

By default the software will automatically prefill with the next available address. Typically this will be how the fixtures will be addressed too but going by your previous post yours are 16 channels apart rather than 13. So it sounds like your fixtures will be at 1, 17, 33 and so on. You can do this one by one, setting the address for each one manually or you can set an offset and get the software to do it for you. Following my steps from a new show (ie. with no fixtures patched), after selecting the mode select the [Options] softkey, type 16 in the [Offset =] softkey (this should already be focussed so you just need to type 16) then EXIT then select the [Quantity = ] softkey, enter 12 and the [Patch] softkey. This will then patch 12 fixtures starting from the address set (ie. 001) at 16 channel intervals.
impy2

Postby impy2 » 21 Jan 2019, 17:03

Hi,
Great job. I now have all lights patched. I have another 2 lights that don't seem to be listed in your softwear. When I put the brand in nothing comes up. Does that mean they just aren`t suitable?
Couple of other questions if you don't mind. To adjust the brightness of a fixture do you have to use the wheels at the bottom right? Seems a slow way of doing this.
Is there a blackout button if you want to kill the lights immediately?
These lights have a zoom on them so you can adjust how far a light shines up a wall. Can this be adjusted?
Not sure what recording is but ill have a look on you tube for more help.
Thanks very much for all your help.
Regards,
Steve
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 21 Jan 2019, 17:19

If you can't find a fixture in the library you can submit a new personality request via the form on the personality website here. If the manufacturer is not currently listed please select 'Other' and then enter the name. If the manufacturer is not known please select 'Unknown'. In order to produce personality files we will need full DMX mapping information. If this cannot be found online please attach suitable documentation. Note that when attaching files the request form currently only accepts one .pdf and .zip format file no larger than 3MB per request.

There are many ways to adjust control values. For example you can use the wheels, the sliders in the Attribute Editor window or by entering a number - if you wanted to put intensity at exactly 50% you can type 50 [Dimmer] or @50 <enter>. If you want to just put the intensity at full you can press @@ or touch above the dimmer function in the touch wheel display. Or you could record the intensity @ full to a playback fader and then adjust the level by moving the fader.

To adjust zoom either select the beam attribute group ('B' button above the touch wheel display) to connect the zoom control to the wheels or select the 'Zoom' attribute bank in the Attribute Editor and then use the Zoom slider.

You can find a lot of information in the manual. There are also Titan training courses available.