Dealing with Par Cans

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

jhld

Dealing with Par Cans

Postby jhld » 09 Sep 2018, 23:43

Has anyone found an effective way to deal with par cans in relation to having designed and pre-viz'd a rig, and then going to a house that has very few automated fixtures and many pars, or only all pars (yes, they still exist). I could pre-viz this as well, but can there be a way to map color info to specific par colors by exchanging them? I haven't run MA much, but I believe MA, and possibly Chamsys have a way of dealing with this.

Any out of the box ideas would be great

thanks
yyy898

Re: Dealing with Par Cans

Postby yyy898 » 12 Sep 2018, 20:14

you can indeed change the collor in the visualiser
- select the light(s) you want to change the collor from
- use softkey G until it says wheels=visualiser
- press the collor attribute
- change the collor to whatever you want

a second option is to create the visualiser file in capture with the right collors and import it in titan
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 12 Sep 2018, 21:37

I don't think that is what was being asked. My understanding is it is a question about how to convert a show from automated fixtures with variable colour (and I assume most likely position) to one where some or all fixtures are fixed pars.

At the moment I can't see any practical way you could use exchange alone for this. Particularly if the original design involved moving fixtures with colour mixing. In this case the position and colour requirements could conflict. And how would you determine which colours translated to which pars - you might have 10 colour palettes but it is probably unlikely you would have that many colours when using pars. Perhaps you could add the relevant dimmers to colour palettes but I can imagine this might be problematic.

My feeling is the best approach would be to start off with a rig that has both pars and automated and include both in the cues (probably using the minimum number of par colours you can to be safe - I would say 4 or 5). Then adapt with repatch/copy/exchange as necessary. You could probably get away with just having one par for each colour and then make the required number of copies and address accordingly for each venue. Or achieve much the same result by patching more than enough, park them all and then address where relevant.
jhld

Postby jhld » 13 Sep 2018, 21:39

@niclights _ Yes, Patching/writing pars into cues at pre-viz is what I do now. I was just wondering if there was some other method to use.