This is day one with Avolites.

For anything that doesn't belong in the other boards

Moderator: Moderators

bdklighting

This is day one with Avolites.

Postby bdklighting » 30 Aug 2018, 15:10

Hello.

I am brand new to the professional console world. I come from a background of using Chauvet ShowXpress, so a lot of the terminology like palettes, etc are new to me.

My goal is to own my own Titan Mobile.

I visited the Avolites site and found the Get Started Page, unfortunately this is where I'm getting lost.

https://www.avolites.com/training/getting-started

At the bottom of the page it lists files that you will need to download in order to do the lessons, I thought.

One big confusion is that it has a link to download the Titan One Quick Start Guide, but in French. lol Anyways, I was able to locate an English copy online.

So I looked through the Quick Start guide, hoping that it would walk me through step by step of what to do with the other files and how to use them. No such luck.

Then I go to the top of the screen and watch the videos, thinking it might show me what to do with all these other files. Again, no such luck.

So...currently I'm left confused with a bunch of files on my computer that I have no idea how to use.

I was able to figure out that the Titan Simulator is a virtual space that emulates a controller.

I originally tried running Titan Mobile and quickly found out that this wasn't a virtual system, but the actual system that connects to a physical Titan Mobile Control Surface.

I'm assuming the Titan Show File - for consoles, is just that. You need a physical Control Surface running Titan Mobile in order to use that. So I didn't download that.

I downloaded the 2 patch lists, but not sure what to do with them. I was hoping either the videos or the quick start guide would say.

Titan One Show - 1 Universe - Not sure what to do with this either.

T1 Training Visualiser - When I open that a window pops up and show a stage with lighting. I'm assuming that can be controlled some how, just don't know how.

Capture Show File Visualiser - Again, opens a window with stage and lighting, but can't do anything to control it.

To me it would appear there are two training files here.

1) Titan One - Which I understand is the little dongle.

2) Titan - Operating System on the control consoles.

Am I correct in assuming that Titan is running on Titan One too?

Back to the beginning. My goal is to own a Titan Mobile. Very new to this. Looking to learn how to use what I have downloaded.

Please help.

Gratefully yours
niclights
The eManual

Re: This is day one with Avolites.

Postby niclights » 30 Aug 2018, 16:37

Hello and welcome.

I'm sorry to hear you've had such a difficult start. Having just looked at the getting started page myself I have to agree I'm none the wiser! And I have no idea why the quick start French guide is included in the links there (the English quick start guide is linked in the PC Suite downloads page which is probably where it should be). I think this needs overhauling.

But not to worry.

Firstly, to answer one of your questions, the Titan software is essentially the same across all the Titan consoles and PC suite (including Titan Simulator, TItanOne and Titan Mobile). The only differences are the hardware (ie. number of faders/buttons etc.) and that the TitanOne is limited to outputting 1 universe and TitanSimulator will occasionally output some random 'spoiler' values. Showfiles are cross-compatible as long as the software version is the same and it is possible to learn on any of the formats move between them. The buttons can be in slightly different places depending on the console but otherwise it's all the same.

In terms of software the only thing you need on PC is the latest version of PC Suite. This includes Titan Mobile, TitanOne and Titan Simulator. As you have already discovered Titan Mobile and TitanOne require the relevant hardware but you can use Titan Simulator to learn without needing anything else. As I mentioned above the only limitation is an occasional 'spoiler' across the output.

Titan Simulator can simulate all the current console types but I would recommend using TitanOne as it has a dedicated interface designed to be used on a PC (the other consoles have a 'Virtual Panel' representing the various consoles but this tends to be awkward to use, especially if you only have one display).

As an overview my advice would be to do the following (using TitanSimulator running TitanOne):

- Learn how to patch dimmers
- Using dimmers learn how to record a memory to a fader
- Understand the 'programmer' and its relationship with the record modes (in particular 'by fixture' and 'by channel') and the clear button
- Then advance onto patching fixtures and understand the difference between HTP (highest takes precedence, almost always 'dimmer') and LTP (latest takes precedence - everything except dimmer). Observe how the level of dimmers recorded to playbacks are affected by the fader level whereas other controls such as colour are not.

These are the fundamentals. Make use of the integrated Capture Visualiser to help understand. In fact the first thing I would do would be to open the 'Capture Visualiser' window. That way when you patch a dimmer and change the level you will see a simulation in the Capture Visualiser window (note that not all fixtures are simulated but most are).

Hopefully you should be able to learn how to do these things by looking at the appropriate sections of the manual and/or the video tutorials. Once you've got to grips with the basics you can move on to other things like chases, cue lists, palettes, shapes and effects etc.
bdklighting

Re: This is day one with Avolites.

Postby bdklighting » 30 Aug 2018, 22:12

niclights wrote:Hello and welcome.

I'm sorry to hear you've had such a difficult start. Having just looked at the getting started page myself I have to agree I'm none the wiser! And I have no idea why the quick start French guide is included in the links there (the English quick start guide is linked in the PC Suite downloads page which is probably where it should be). I think this needs overhauling.

But not to worry.

Firstly, to answer one of your questions, the Titan software is essentially the same across all the Titan consoles and PC suite (including Titan Simulator, TItanOne and Titan Mobile). The only differences are the hardware (ie. number of faders/buttons etc.) and that the TitanOne is limited to outputting 1 universe and TitanSimulator will occasionally output some random 'spoiler' values. Showfiles are cross-compatible as long as the software version is the same and it is possible to learn on any of the formats move between them. The buttons can be in slightly different places depending on the console but otherwise it's all the same.

In terms of software the only thing you need on PC is the latest version of PC Suite. This includes Titan Mobile, TitanOne and Titan Simulator. As you have already discovered Titan Mobile and TitanOne require the relevant hardware but you can use Titan Simulator to learn without needing anything else. As I mentioned above the only limitation is an occasional 'spoiler' across the output.

Titan Simulator can simulate all the current console types but I would recommend using TitanOne as it has a dedicated interface designed to be used on a PC (the other consoles have a 'Virtual Panel' representing the various consoles but this tends to be awkward to use, especially if you only have one display).

As an overview my advice would be to do the following (using TitanSimulator running TitanOne):

- Learn how to patch dimmers
- Using dimmers learn how to record a memory to a fader
- Understand the 'programmer' and its relationship with the record modes (in particular 'by fixture' and 'by channel') and the clear button
- Then advance onto patching fixtures and understand the difference between HTP (highest takes precedence, almost always 'dimmer') and LTP (latest takes precedence - everything except dimmer). Observe how the level of dimmers recorded to playbacks are affected by the fader level whereas other controls such as colour are not.

These are the fundamentals. Make use of the integrated Capture Visualiser to help understand. In fact the first thing I would do would be to open the 'Capture Visualiser' window. That way when you patch a dimmer and change the level you will see a simulation in the Capture Visualiser window (note that not all fixtures are simulated but most are).

Hopefully you should be able to learn how to do these things by looking at the appropriate sections of the manual and/or the video tutorials. Once you've got to grips with the basics you can move on to other things like chases, cue lists, palettes, shapes and effects etc.

This information is awesome. Thank you. I actually had to go out any buy a new computer, given my current system almost died when I started the visualizer. The fans got so loud that I thought it was going to fly off the table. Needless to say, I couldn't do much.

Then I remember there were certain recommended specs. LOL. I wasn't even close.

So I consider it an investment in my education.

I will let you know how I'm getting along, I'm sure I will have many questions. :)