Programming Unpacked Fixtures

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

MovingAir

Programming Unpacked Fixtures

Postby MovingAir » 08 Jul 2018, 19:13

Hello. I'm really green when it comes to lighting, so I have a question regarding programming:
I have several Chauvet 4bar TRI lights that I have been running for many of my smaller shows. It's been fine, except, as it is a 4-in-1 fixture, I haven't been able to build any interesting 'motions' with them. I either use them as stationary (all four doing the same thing or programming individual cells one at a time), or using the built-in macros. However, I would like to be able to tie them all together to make longer visual movements and/or have what they do tie in with other types of fixtures.
I just heard about 'unpacking' fixtures. Very handy for creating groups, etc., but can I use these unpacked fixtures to create shapes with the Avo, so it views each cell as a fixture as opposed to seeing the four lights as just one fixture?
The moral of the story is: How can I learn more about 'unpacking' and/or creating visual movement with non-moving multi-cell fixtures? Thanks.
niclights
The eManual

Re: Programming Unpacked Fixtures

Postby niclights » 08 Jul 2018, 20:07

I think you might mean unfold. If you press unfold and select a multi-cell fixture it will reveal handles for the cells. You can make groups from these or from the cells in attribute editor. For example open attribute editor, select all your 4bar fixtures then drag select over all of the cells (or just individual ones, whatever you want) and then double-tap on an empty group handle in the groups window. You can also use numeric selection using the syntax 'x.y' where x is the fixture user number and y is the cell number. If you have already selected the main fixture you can just use '.y' or, if you want to select all of the cells of the selected fixtures just '.'

However, if you are just looking to make shapes or effects then you can use the [Run on Subfixtures] option when creating the shape which will then apply things like spread across the cells.
MovingAir

Re: Programming Unpacked Fixtures

Postby MovingAir » 08 Jul 2018, 21:37

Yes. I did mean "unfold." Sorry. Too many programs on my mind. I'm trying to understand all the multiple layers (I'm an audio guy who is learning lighting, so please bare with me), and I don't understand the ins-and-outs. And, frankly, there just isn't good, coherent Avo training online, that I can find anyway.
So "subfixtures" is the term for the individual cells that comprise a fixture, correct? So if I'm programming a color chase that involves, say, four 4bars, four Auras, and 12 dimmers (just pulling things out of the air here), and I create the effect, then there are the options "Run On Sub Fixtures (Linear)" or "Run On Sub Fixtures (Group)". Would I want the 'Linear' option? I'd really like to understand more about this. Thank you.