New Pearls

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

Pearce Hire

New Pearls

Postby Pearce Hire » 04 Aug 2006, 13:19

Just found this on the ET Now website, thought you all might be interested:-

Avolites Pearl Expert for PLASA 2006

Avolites will launch its new Pearl Expert at PLASA in September. This is a new high performance version of the industry’s most popular ever console – more submasters more flash buttons, more power - optimised for use on larger and more demanding shows and events.

Pearl Expert is based on the Pearl 2004 operating system, retaining the user-friendliness and accessibility of Avolites Pearl consoles. It is powered by the new Intel Core Duo Processor, giving an exceptionally high speed button response which is particularly useful for ‘Take Over’, and busking with Timed Palettes.

An additional five sub master playbacks make a total of 20 – the most of any console in its class – ensuring every type of show, and user, has all the playbacks they need, instantly accessible. New Add and Swop buttons for the top row of faders allow easy, uncompromised placement of fixtures and dimmers, on all 60 preset faders.

The new ‘Colour Picker’. a highly requested feature from the Diamond 4 console, gives instant rapid and intuitive control of CMY and colour mix devices. This is the first of many D4 features for future software releases in Pearl Expert.

A Unique new “Split Roller” separates the 20 Sub masters into two banks of 10 allowing live mix and match of memories, adding a new dimension to “buskability”, this feature is ideal for operators who enjoy being right “in the mix” with the band.

The Internal Hard Disk gives virtually unlimited internal storage of shows. USB Memory storage together with a CD/DVD re writer (and a floppy disk drive) gives show portability and long term backup. Pearl Expert includes the industry standard Ethernet protocols.

Along with Pearl Expert, the Pearl 2004 has been upgraded and is now known as the Pearl 2008 which includes USB memory storage and a USB connection to an external PC giving a wealth of new features.

Shows created using Pearl 2004, 2008 or Expert software are interchangeable and compatible.
(iCe)

Postby (iCe) » 08 Aug 2006, 15:41

Dutch distributors came up with a pic :) Lookin' good, lookin' nice ;)

http://www.controllux.nl/catalog/newsde ... 9fd70f6df3
Tawnyn

Postby Tawnyn » 09 Aug 2006, 11:16

(iCe) wrote:Dutch distributors came up with a pic :) Lookin' good, lookin' nice ;)

http://www.controllux.nl/catalog/newsde ... 9fd70f6df3

strange they told me it was still "topsecret" but as usual dutchies play by there own rules :twisted:
Phil

Postby Phil » 09 Aug 2006, 11:36

Not that top secret now... we've put the press info out (which includes pictures), so the product's out in the open. More info (and a few working desks to see and play with) at PLASA next month.
Tawnyn

Postby Tawnyn » 09 Aug 2006, 12:38

Phil wrote:Not that top secret now... we've put the press info out (which includes pictures), so the product's out in the open. More info (and a few working desks to see and play with) at PLASA next month.

my bad :twisted:

can't wait till PLASA, really wanna see, feel and play the Expert then 8)
Pearce Hire

Postby Pearce Hire » 09 Aug 2006, 22:00

Has anyone else noticed (unless I've missed it) that the key switch is missing in the pictures. Wonder how you switch between modes now?
jhld

What about universes?

Postby jhld » 09 Aug 2006, 22:05

Does the expert have 6 universes instead of 4? Does the 2008 have a new motherboard with the new chip?
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 09 Aug 2006, 22:22

AFAIK 2008 is identical to 2004 but with new software making use of existing USB port.

I can't answer about the universes on Expert.
Tawnyn

Postby Tawnyn » 10 Aug 2006, 07:20

Pearce Hire wrote:Has anyone else noticed (unless I've missed it) that the key switch is missing in the pictures. Wonder how you switch between modes now?

it might be a softbutton switch :D altough the keyswitch was something very usefull on the older pearls i dont think we need a fysical switch on the Expert. its kinda like the D4 were there are only two modes on the switch operating and safe.

most important for me is the run modes i like changing between takeover and normal alot on shows were they use a pearl for conventional and automated fixtures. I think im gonna like the Expert :twisted:
Phil

Postby Phil » 10 Aug 2006, 09:17

Pearce Hire wrote:Has anyone else noticed (unless I've missed it) that the key switch is missing in the pictures. Wonder how you switch between modes now?

Take a closer look at the pictures above :wink:
(iCe)

Postby (iCe) » 10 Aug 2006, 09:24

Phil wrote:

Take a closer look at the pictures above :wink:

I'm guessing top left? The 2008 isn't going to have a USB host port, right? So you could only connect it to a PC for saving and those things. I hope the visualiser is going to be improved as well, since that data connection is offcourse ideal for running the vis without using the midi (I hope the console is going to speed up a bit by that advantage).

How about the normal software features, any major performance improvements, tweaking and improving algorithms and stuff? :)
Phil

Postby Phil » 10 Aug 2006, 10:47

The hardware for the 2008 is the same as for the 2004 - still uses the Borris 3 and so on. It's essentially just a facelift.

As for software, I'm personally not actually sure of what all the improvements are with it offhand - I've not been working on the Pearls at all - but if you talk to any of us at Plasa, I'm sure we'll all be clued up by then!
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 10 Aug 2006, 21:28

It is my understanding that the main features of the new 2008 software are USB implementation for visualiser output (to overcome the midi slowdown) along with save/load shows and software via a PC. That is alongside some small additions & bug fixes.
(iCe)

Postby (iCe) » 10 Aug 2006, 23:53

Sorry, I'll wont be there at PLASA. But I'll just watch the reviews :-) Good work!
CoenCo

Postby CoenCo » 14 Aug 2006, 13:03

YAY new Pearls!!!!

This just brings a lot of questions, and since I won't make it to Plasa, I'll just ask them here.
* Will the new pearl2008 software work on a Borris2 pearl2000??
* Or will there be a different version for the old-style pearl2000s??
* Is there going to be a USB upgrade for the Borris2? (perhaps a serial to USB convertor)
* when Loading a pearl-expert show in a Pearl2000/4/8 what happens to the last 5 playbacks??

* I've also heard that new pearl2004s are already being shipped with a v1.4 software. Is this true? If so, when will it be released for public download?