Pixmap all white on fixtures

Welcome to the Avolites TitanOne Support Forum

Moderator: Moderators

LewnWorx

Pixmap all white on fixtures

Postby LewnWorx » 21 Jun 2017, 04:30

Having some problems with pixel maps.

If I import a bitmap with color (gradients and the like) the colors show up fine on layers with or without the use of layer masters.

However if I use the onboard shapes and set a color to the layer it works fine until I turn on use layer master for that layer at which point it looks fine color wise in the editor but comes out white in both the visualizer and at the fixtures.

Fixtures in question are Rush MH2 which are rgbw.

Recently had personality update to get the white to mix correctly in the color mixer (and that is now working fine).

My workaround for now has been to make colored bitmaps for squares and such but it'd be nice to be able to use theonboatd stuff and still be able to put those on layer masters for busking purposes.
niclights
The eManual

Re: Pixmap all white on fixtures

Postby niclights » 22 Jun 2017, 17:12

This is correct.

Pixel map layer masters are actually fixtures with Opacity, X, Y, Red, Green, Blue, Angle and Zoom controls. If you select a pixel layer master these controls will connect to the wheels and appear in the Attribute Editor. When 'Use Master' is enabled these control the associated parameters on that layer (where 'Angle' = 'Rotation'). This is very powerful as it allows you to adjust these parameters live including things like fading between colour palettes.
LewnWorx

Postby LewnWorx » 23 Jun 2017, 05:51

Ok took me a bit to get my head around it but that is just insanely cool.

Did some concentric band radial gradients in gimp, brought that in and by zooming and moving the y offset and having the rotation rate on a bpm fader I now have a universe of color patterns at my disposal and can morph them on the fly with next to zero effort.

Incredible.

Massive kudos.
LewnWorx

Postby LewnWorx » 25 Jun 2017, 06:19

Follow up question now that I've had some time to play with it..

So if I have various cues on different playbacks that use layer masters, and I manipulate the X Y rgb values etc with the wheels, are those changes tracked per the cue or fx palette that they're associated with or are they global per master?

Reason I'm wondering is I'd had some cues set up in a cuelist that used layermasrers before I got that you could change the values in runtime, and after playing with others I'd set up to be modified by the wheels, came back to the ones I'd set up earlier to discover the maps weren't in the same place (x y & zoom had changed).

Are these wheel values stored as part of the cue?

If I change them at runtime then kill the cue and later refute it does it use the values from when I originally recorded it or the last modifications I'd made via the wheels?

If not be default is there a mechanism where I could have them save the last changes without going through the include / record / merge cycle?

Just trying to understand what I'm seeing..
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 25 Jun 2017, 10:17

They act as fixtures in almost every way. So the values will be stored in cues if they were in the programmer (either all of the parameters if using record by fixture and the layer master is in the programmer or only the parameters in the programmer if using record by channel).

You could record a playback by channel with just the parameters you want to override and set it to a high enough priority. That way while it is active it will take precedence. However if you then selected the layer master, adjusted the parameter and then cleared, the high priority playback will no longer override.

The best solution is probably to just remove the layer master data from the cues. If you view the cue any layer masters will be represented as 'FX Layer x'. If you click on this a softkey menu option to [Remove Fixtures] will appear. Select this and [Confirm].
icke_siegen

Postby icke_siegen » 25 Jun 2017, 10:30

Layer Masters are fixtures themselves - in fact, you can even find them in the patch menu (manufacturer: Avolites, model: Pixel Mapper Layer) - you cannot patch them this way as they are special fixtures. But I think this makes the whole thing more transparent. (Try, instead of creating this master on a fader playback, create it on a fixture button in the fixtures window)

• the setting 'Use Master' per pixelmap effect is stored in this particular effect (probably on a playback, or in a palette). If set to On it commands the effect 'ignore any individual settings for brightness, colour, position, zoom, and rotation', and take these settings from the designated master instrument.
  • the settings you apply on the master itself are somewhat independent as they apply to another fixture - the Layer Master fixture
  • hence, you might consider merge-including the master into some cues where you want to make sure they look always exactly the same
If you think this trough this will also answer any tracking-related questions I think :D

... again Nick was quicker ...
LewnWorx

Postby LewnWorx » 26 Jun 2017, 12:06

Thanks for the replies.

The intent on the cues was to have the xy zoom etc parked so the pertinent portion of the bitmap was in the general area where it would look correct then use the wheels to modify it on the fly.

will go back and look at the cues In question in the grid view and update and merge.

I'd put several of these into a cuelist on a wing fader.

Being as I usually tend to record by channel more than likely there were some values zoom x y / color that hadn't gotten set from cue to cue and as they are in a cuelist the tracking from cue to cue is more than likely the culprit.

So thinking the key is to get them set up and insure that all the wheel modifiable parameters are in each cue before bolting all the cues into a cue list so when recalled they'll be where I put them at record time. Correct?