Edit cue in cuelist using update button

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

Judge

Edit cue in cuelist using update button

Postby Judge » 25 May 2017, 11:34

I am talking though Titan on a TM with someone who is primarily an ETC operator and she is not used to the usual way we edit cues.

ie fire the cue > select fixtures > make changes > press record > double tap Connect button > clear

I have found something that has confused us both.

If you double tap Update button after selecting and making changes, it seems to do the same thing. It has certainly changed that cue.

Or not? Probably missing something vital. I cannot find the option to update back/forward that the manual talks about.
niclights
The eManual

Re: Edit cue in cuelist using update button

Postby niclights » 25 May 2017, 13:00

Double tap Update tracks forward and backward.

RECORD CUE CUE tracks forward.

You can change the update mode by toggling softkey E in the Record Step menu that appears after RECORD CUE (Forwards/ Backwards/ Both/ Cue Only) then press CUE again to commit.
Gregory

Postby Gregory » 25 May 2017, 13:14

The Update function stores values in the programmer into the playback cue which previously changed them before they were added to the programmer. This works across multiple playbacks so if one playback set the colour and another set the position the corresponding changes will be recorded back into each playback. If the cue uses a palette you are offered the option of updating the palette rather than the cue (which would break the link), updating the cue is the default option. When the playback cue has been tracked it is the last cue which changed it, not the current live cue, that is updated. Pressing Update twice performs the update on all cues, pressing Update once presents a menu where the items to be updated can be toggled in or out using the softkeys or you can double press on a playback or palette to just update it (this follows the same rules as above so you cannot update a completely different playback or palette).

Somewhat separate to the function above the Update button is also used as a modifier in the syntax when recording cues.
[Record] [Connect/Cue] - Record all the values in the programmer to the selected cue (tracking forward not backwards).
[Record] [Update] [Connect/Cue] - Record all the values in the programmer to the into the cue(s) that last changed the values (tracking backwards and forwards).
[Update] [Connect/Cue] - Update only values that previously existed in the playback in the cue(s) that last changed the values (tracking backwards and forwards).

These only work on the playback connected to the wheels (and Go button) so will not affect any other playbacks or palettes.

Nic's beaten me to it, I need to type faster.
Judge

Postby Judge » 25 May 2017, 13:45

Righto, thanks chaps. I have been playing with two identical cuelists and then modding them using each method and am beginning to understand what is happening and your explanations help.
Its a complex situation all right - but I am sure that it is easier than it would be on an MA2 :/
I think that it is a good thing to know about and I will experiment more.

But my ETC friend is still confused.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 25 May 2017, 14:01

Just to add to Gregory's more comprehensive reply I'm assuming that [Update]/[Update] for connected cuelist is just an alternative to [Update]/[Connect/Cue] (ie. update only values that previously existed in the playback in the cue(s) that last changed the values (tracking backwards and forwards) rather than all values in the programmer.)

It is complex and I was similarly confused when I tried to use ETC. I am looking at a project to identify some of the areas of confusion in order to try and help people that are working between the two platforms.
Gregory

Postby Gregory » 25 May 2017, 14:10

Gregory wrote:Pressing Update twice performs the update on all cues

This is the function described in the my first paragraph which is not related to the connected playback, it will update all active playbacks. This function effectively tracks backwards and forwards from the live cue as it does not follow the live cue and always updates the cue that previously changed the value.
riscster

Postby riscster » 26 May 2017, 23:14

Other things to bear in mind when moving from ETC

- The default for ETC is generally to record everything (i.e. stage in Avolites terminology) whereas Avo generally only records changes (channel or fixture)
- The default for ETC is generally to replace a cue whereas Avo defaults to merging cues.

Both pairs of options are available on both but the simplest 'RECORD CUE' syntax tends to take you down different routes.