Pearl is slowing down

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

(iCe)

Pearl is slowing down

Postby (iCe) » 24 Apr 2006, 09:04

Hi, I just got a call from one of my operators. The Pearl 2004 he is working on is very slow. Programming something on a playback works fine, but when the playback is raised it takes nearly a second to output the contents live. There are no fade times on the playbacks.

I wiped the desk before programming myself. There isn't that much patched, 10 movers and about 60 dimmer channels. I did patch that content over 3 seperate universes because we forgot bringing a booster.

Any (quick) solutions for this program we could try? Like this even flashing on the beat becomes a problem. Show starts this afternoon so I don't have enough time to guide him through opening and closing the console.

Oh: I made him check the bus errors, there were none. The DMX delay is set as normal, always worked fine. The 3 seperate lines are 50 meters long with about 20 devices each. I never experienced these kind of problems myself on the same console.

Further info: offcourse no delay/wait times are set on the playbacks: all options are set to 0s.

Update: the LCD display shows "power on" "no reply" in the bottom of the screen. That message disappears when raising a fader and seems to re-appear when the lights actually go on.
(iCe)

Postby (iCe) » 24 Apr 2006, 11:24

Ok... problem solved. He turned on the console while pressing clear + exit, somekind of reset method I didn't know existed. That cleared the error in the bottom of the screen and now all works fast again.

Maybe for future users who encounter the same problem.

What exactly is that clear+exit solution?
Shahid Anwar

Postby Shahid Anwar » 24 Apr 2006, 11:32

Set user setting 7 to G-Tablet instead of DSR-20 and this will remove the one second delay when firing a memory.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 24 Apr 2006, 14:49

Other than the user settings, a common reason for 1 sec delay is after a programming session. This seems especially noticeable after using palettes to edit/build chases through 'unfold'.
The cure is always a simple reset.

I was unaware of a [clear]+[exit] reset, but if there was an error in the bottom of the LCD then this would have been a bus error.
(iCe)

Postby (iCe) » 24 Apr 2006, 18:58

A simple reset didn't work, we tried that. It wasn't a bus error or at least it wasn't displayed in the bus errors screen.

I don't know if the exit+clear actually did the work, he tried a couple of things and in the end it all worked well again. Can't reproduce it either, so we'll just let it be I guess.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 24 Apr 2006, 19:26

I'm confused by 'it cleared the error in the bottom of the screen'. This should be a bus error.
iadwm

Postby iadwm » 24 Apr 2006, 21:13

To Avo Software....

What is this <CLEAR>+<EXIT> ? Is it a genuine 'hard' reset or the same as <VIEW+VIEW> soft reset?

Cheers,

Andy
"It's the prospect of hearing something that you could never have dreamed existed"
John Peel

www.iadwm.com