Floppy Disks

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

Iain

Floppy Disks

Postby Iain » 08 Mar 2006, 17:38

I work out of Toronto, Canada and it is becoming increasingly difficult to buy floppy disks. Future Shop is just selling off what they have in stock, not all the Depot's and G & T's carry them. Er.... how's that USB-Flash drive thing coming along? Iain
iadwm

Postby iadwm » 08 Mar 2006, 18:23

Iain,

On the assumption this in connection with the Pearl....you are going to be dissapointed...the USB on the Pearl is a device port and not a host port.

In other words - it simply wont work.

Stock up on floppy's !

Regards,

Andy
"It's the prospect of hearing something that you could never have dreamed existed"
John Peel

www.iadwm.com
Iain

Postby Iain » 08 Mar 2006, 19:27

Yes I am talking about Pearls and Sapphires. Oh dear, floppy hoarding has begun :shock:
Iain

Postby Iain » 09 Mar 2006, 02:03

Been thinking about this. Why? Modifications are extremley common...most of us who sit behind the board took the long road there...don't see to too much of a problem to make it work in the near future....bit of solder(lead free of course), couple of jumpers....c'mon guys the metal work is there, regards, half in jest, Iain :)
iadwm

Postby iadwm » 09 Mar 2006, 16:15

Everything you need to know as to why you can't use the USB port with a memory stick.

http://avolitesshop.co.uk/phpBB3/viewto ... ost+device
"It's the prospect of hearing something that you could never have dreamed existed"

John Peel

www.iadwm.com
Olie
Site Admin

Postby Olie » 10 Mar 2006, 10:20

Thank you for your comments, we do understand that there is a problem with availability of floppy disks.
Avolites Software Team
dosx

Postby dosx » 10 Mar 2006, 19:49

I was wondering, if it would be possible for avo to build something that would effectively replace the floppy drive with a USB socket for memory sticks? Not right now, obviously, but as an eventual solution to this problem. Is the design of the desk such that you could have a different physical device to store on if a suitable electronic interface was designed?
----------------
James
nrdark92

Postby nrdark92 » 13 Mar 2006, 22:11

are you trying to find me yet more work James?? !!
Iain

Postby Iain » 14 Mar 2006, 16:17

I'm starting to feel a little guitly for begining this :lol:
pscandrett

Postby pscandrett » 03 Apr 2006, 18:31

dosx wrote:I was wondering, if it would be possible for avo to build something that would effectively replace the floppy drive with a USB socket for memory sticks?

I used to have a pretend floppy that accepted a smartmedia card which transferred the data through the floppy drive to a PC. It's a bit like those pretend cassettes you can get which have magnetic heads to engage with your tape player, with a lead to plug into (say) your CD player.

Admittedly it needed a driver disk and it seemed to me to be a clever bit of hardware, but thought I'd mention it!
--
Freelance lighting designer/op/technician based in Manchester - http://www.scandrett.net/
willdean

Postby willdean » 03 Apr 2006, 19:10

pscandrett wrote:I used to have a pretend floppy that accepted a smartmedia card ...

Alas, Smartmedia has become obsolete much faster than 3.5" disks - even if the gadget did work in a desk (which I doubt), you would merely substitute the difficulty of getting floppies for the difficulty of getting Smartmedia.

(If I wasn't procrastinating in here, I would be drawing the schematics for a device which needs to replace Smartmedia with another flash-card format, because of exactly this problem.)

Let's hope the new RoHS-compliant Pearl 2006 has a USB host socket which can take thumb drives...
pscandrett

Postby pscandrett » 03 Apr 2006, 19:12

I take your point, but I was just trying to suggest that reading/writing flash memory (of some sort) via the floppy drive might be viable with a little bit of work :-)
--
Freelance lighting designer/op/technician based in Manchester - http://www.scandrett.net/
willdean

Postby willdean » 03 Apr 2006, 20:50

pscandrett wrote:I take your point, but I was just trying to suggest that reading/writing flash memory (of some sort) via the floppy drive might be viable with a little bit of work :-)

Yes, now you say it, a drop-in 'floppy drive' replacement which had a USB thumb-drive socket it on it sounds like a relatively simple gadget which would be handy for these long-in-the-tooth embedded applications.

How many would Avo like to buy...?
dosx

Postby dosx » 14 Apr 2006, 14:33

willdean wrote:Yes, now you say it, a drop-in 'floppy drive' replacement which had a USB thumb-drive socket it on it sounds like a relatively simple gadget which would be handy for these long-in-the-tooth embedded applications.

Sounds oddly familiar :P

dosx wrote:I was wondering, if it would be possible for avo to build something that would effectively replace the floppy drive with a USB socket for memory sticks?

willdean wrote:How many would Avo like to buy...?

Do I get a share of the royalties :P
----------------

James
willdean

Postby willdean » 15 Apr 2006, 14:54

dosx wrote:Do I get a share of the royalties :P

Actually, I did go as far as talking to the people most likely to supply the USB host controller for this sort of application (Cypress).

In the course of the discussion I/we came to the conclusion that it would be much easier to support a flash card (like SD for example) rather than a thumb drive.

Even then, finessing the disk format issues so that it appeared perfectly like a floppy disk drive wouldn't be trivial. Needless to say, I haven't done anything else about it...