Has anybody found problems running the Visualiser on Vista?

Welcome to the Avolites Visualiser Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Argy

Has anybody found problems running the Visualiser on Vista?

Postby Argy » 22 Nov 2007, 15:48

Not much more to say really. Got everything installed and vista won't run the visualiser due to some parts of the program is missing.
Does anybody have any more knwledge on poo Vista as to make it all work happy?
My pc mentions that the application fails due to D3DRM.DLL not being found
Gregory

Postby Gregory » 14 Dec 2007, 16:50

For Visualiser to work in Windows Vista you will require the file 'd3drm.dll'. Also, when you run Visualiser you will to use the option to run as administrator.

A copy of the DLL file can be found in the zip file: d3drm.zip; please download it and copy the DLL file to the directory where Visualiser is installed. Please note that the copy of Visualiser bundled with the current version Diamond 4 software already includes this DLL file.

To run Visualiser as administrator: right click on the application icon and select "Run as administrator" (you will be prompted for permission to run and may be required to enter a password for an administrator account).

If you wish to make this the default action when you run the application do the following:
  • Right click on the application icon and select Properties
  • Select the Compatibility tab
  • Tick the box next to "Run this program as an administrator"
  • If this option is greyed out click on "Show settings for all users" and tick the equivalent option in the new window (you may be asked for a password to do this)
  • Click OK to confirm your changes

If you use the Diamond 4 software menu option to start the Visualiser, it will try to run the Visualiser as the same user as it is currently running with, thus you will need to run the Diamond 4 software as an administrator for this option to work.

Please note that logging in using an administrator account is different from choosing the options described above and won't alone make Visualiser work.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Gregory on 02 Dec 2008, 12:18, edited 1 time in total.
Gobo

Postby Gobo » 03 Jan 2008, 13:26

I am also using Vista. Thanks for the fix to get the Visualiser installed OK.
Now I can't get ACDI to download properly. Says there is an element of Windows missing. Can ACDI be downloaded with VISTA?
monkeypuzzle

still not working/usb lead

Postby monkeypuzzle » 09 Jan 2008, 22:06

I've just copied the patch as described and now visulizer will at least load as a program but the four windows are the same grey as the rest of the program. even if i load the demo theatre. if i put in fixtures, it is still all grey.

also, has anyone made a midi to usb cable (instead of the 9 pin sub D) as my laptop doesn't have one... any ideas out there? cheers, matt

oh and why does viz insist that i've changed the theatre when i've only turned the program on and want to load a new theatre?
Gregory

Re: still not working/usb lead

Postby Gregory » 10 Jan 2008, 10:13

monkeypuzzle wrote:the four windows are the same grey as the rest of the program.

This usually happens when you haven't run Visualiser as administrator. The patch is an interface to DirectX, which used to be part of Windows, and it needs full administrator privileges to work.

To run as administrator: right click on the application icon and select "Run as administrator" (just being in an administrator account won't work).
monkeypuzzle

Postby monkeypuzzle » 10 Jan 2008, 12:01

cheers mate