Help please - visualiser/simulator comms problem

Welcome to the Avolites Visualiser Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Smurf

Help please - visualiser/simulator comms problem

Postby Smurf » 27 Apr 2006, 13:52

I'm very new to lighting design and not a computer whizz either.
I've downloaded the simulator and the visualiser to try and learn the pearl - but I cannot get them to talk to one-another.

The visualiser is telling me that I need to purchase a dinky dongle - is that right??

it also sometimes comes up with "Simulator: bad signature = <0><0><0><0><0><0><0><0>" at the bottom of the screen

Please help
Ed

Postby Ed » 27 Apr 2006, 15:43

Did you download the visualiser recently?

The latest version is now dongle free and can be downloaded here
Avolites Software Team
Smurf

Postby Smurf » 28 Apr 2006, 13:48

Yes I downloaded it yesterday - I have now noticed that sometimes it seems to be ok and other times it isn't - My computer is a bit tired - I think I'll try reinstalling it after I have got my new one in a couple of weeks - as it may be my puter rather than the programmes - thanx
GLX

Postby GLX » 07 May 2006, 19:56

When your getting your new puter get a second video card and monitor, if your using the sim. to run visualiser you can have the pearl on one monitor and the vis. on the other. Makes life easy.
Dont bring an idiot with you, you'll always find one when you get there!.
CSmithDesign

Postby CSmithDesign » 19 Apr 2012, 16:21

I am having the same problem: When I click on the "Simulator" radio button in the visualiser, it tells me "Simulator: bad signature = <0><0><0><0><0><0><0><0>" at the bottom of the screen.

How can I fix this? I got it to work once with the simulator, but I can't recreate that again.

thanks
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 19 Apr 2012, 17:00

Hi,

Can you explain what you are trying to do?
CSmithDesign

Postby CSmithDesign » 19 Apr 2012, 21:10

Hey Nic,

I actually believe that I "fixed" this. I'm trying to pre-program on my Titan Mobile that will be going into a Pearl Expert and I wanted to use the Visualiser and Titan Mobile on the same computer.

I had done this once before very easily (I just opened the visualiser, patched and plotted the lights on the vis, then turned on the "simulator" radio button on the vis in run mode and everything worked as it should), but I've been having some problems this time. After patching and plotting the fixtures, I'd turn the DMX input onto "simulator" and it would give me that "bad signature" message at the bottom of the visualiser window.

I tried restarting everything to no avail, but I'm pretty sure that I found how to make it work: I go into USB Expert Console, start the ACW service, then start Titan Mobile, then the Visualiser. When I do this, everything works just fine (so far). so, hopefully this is the fix.
icke_siegen

Postby icke_siegen » 19 Apr 2012, 22:04

Good catch, and thanks for sharing.

Btw., to make patching easier:
- patch the fixtures in titan mobile
- in Titan Mobile, open Visualiser (assuming Autoupdate was enabled). Your fixtures should be there at once. Toggle to design mode, and save the theatre.
- close the visualiser window.
- now start the visualiser 'externally' . Now it's easy to load the previously saved theatre - this saves you the time you'd need to select and patch the fixtures separately...

Just make sure vis runs only once on the machine.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 20 Apr 2012, 00:06

Whenever I've done this it has always been after starting the mobile (or, rather, the simulator to be precise). This would always mean ACW is already running.

The latest versions of Vis deliberatly prevent more than one instance so this should not be an issue. If you try to open Vis as a workspace from Titan it will close the original window.