Moving groups of fixtures around in vis

Welcome to the Avolites Visualiser Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Beast

Moving groups of fixtures around in vis

Postby Beast » 24 Mar 2013, 09:20

Greetings.

Have just patched 20 ADJ Mega tribars into our main show and wasn't expecting them to show up in vis, but they did as single fixtures, so i thought. Was playing around in pixelmapper and vis, when i thought something was odd with the first bar, as it was almost completely lit up all the time, when pixelmapping. The other lit as expected as superfixtures, eg. lit up, when one of the 18 subcells was on. Out of curiousity, i opened the first fixture in design mode, and found that all subcells was patched and placed here, 361 in all including superfixture. Well, i played around with it for a couple of hours, and have now got a nice representation of the bars in vis, with subcells and all. Have ofcourse grouped the subfixtures as superfixtures and am able to move them around xyz, but my question is if there is a way of moving the entire group around, place them in angles, change orientation to stage and so forth. :) In fact its not just for fun, it gives a fine representation when preprogramming pixelmapping.

Sincerely

Beast Dk
niclights
The eManual

Re: Moving groups of fixtures around in vis

Postby niclights » 24 Mar 2013, 12:53

As far as I know you can only move groups in Vis. There are no functions to change other parameters across multiple fixtures.

My solution to this is to turn off auto-update and manually add fixtures (probably generic RGB in this case) where I set orientation/angels etc. before adding. These parameters are remembered when adding, so as long as you work out exactly how you want them placed beforehand this can work quite well (in combination with x/y/z offset). Obviously this doesn't allow any scope for adjustment but you can create reasonably accurate theatres.

The limitations of Vis are well known, along with the requirements to easily represent stage layouts and multi-celled fixtures. Hopefully some of this will be possible in future versions. As for why it auto-patched them in the first place I have no idea. This was almost certainly not supposed to happen!
Beast

Re: Moving groups of fixtures around in vis

Postby Beast » 27 Mar 2013, 20:56

Thanks Nic, thought it was the case, but just had to be sure i wasn't missing something.
Tried patching the bars in a fresh show, in both 12 ch mode( 3 x rgb) and in 54 ch mode(18 x rgb) and it still patched subfixtures in the 54 ch mode.
Thanks for the tip with the patching of single rgb's, will use it if i get the inclination(and time :) ) for it.
For now im quite content with using it as pixelmapping preview :lol:

Sincerely

Beast DK