Sporadic DMX madness with Titan Simulator

Welcome to the Avolites Visualiser Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Moderators

chiefo

Sporadic DMX madness with Titan Simulator

Postby chiefo » 13 Jun 2012, 05:35

Hi there,
Trying to pre-program a show using the Expert Simulator and visualiser running locally on the same Windows 7 machine.

Patched the show, and created the Viz within Titan so all the fixtures were there patched correctly. Started programming without issues, then suddenly everything on the visualiser went crazy, moving everywere, changing colour, spinning etc.

After a few seconds the fixtures all return where they're supposed to be and can be panned and tilted, but some have become different colours or stareted spinning and locating does nothing.

Restarting the program is the only way I've found to get them back to normal, and it never lasts more than 5 minutes before the mayhem ensues again!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, it's the newest version of everything on a 32bit windows 7 machine.
icke_siegen

Postby icke_siegen » 13 Jun 2012, 07:59

Hi, that's not a fault - it's intented, in order to prevent the simulator being used as free desk: every other minute or so the DMX output gets jammed, and returns to normal operation after some seconds.

however, sometimes a few attribues seem to be stuck in 'jammed' mode - but that's not really grave, and can be overcome.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 13 Jun 2012, 11:03

Yes, it's true there is an annoying bug where the spoiler values can sometimes get stuck. But you don't have to restart. Changing the affected attributes is enough. Of course, depending on how many fixtures/attributes are affected and how fast your machine is it might still be quicker to restart!
chiefo

Postby chiefo » 13 Jun 2012, 20:47

Ah I see, fair enough I suppose, although it does seem a slightly drastic solution to a problem that every other manufacturer seems to have found a way around, especially when it's not even implemented properly, and will probably interfere with real-life shows on real-life Avo consoles.

But hopefully not...
icke_siegen

Postby icke_siegen » 13 Jun 2012, 22:24

At least regarding your last concern: no, it doesn't interfere with real shows on real consoles
chiefo

Postby chiefo » 16 Jun 2012, 21:56

It's true it didnt, worked a charm when loaded on the console, was worried I might accidentally record cues or palettes with parameters I'd set while trying to dislodge sticky fixtures, but that's what clear is for.

Also been won over by Titan, who needs a hog and a wysiwyg...

Edit: But it'd really be awesome if the dmx disco thing could go away, would it still happen if I paid £20 for an acdi license?
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 16 Jun 2012, 22:12

chiefo wrote:would it still happen if I paid £20 for an acdi license?

Yes, sorry.