Serial to DMX cable

Welcome to the Avolites Visualiser Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Luminous Lights

Serial to DMX cable

Postby Luminous Lights » 25 Jan 2011, 10:22

Hi, I am an Azure user, you are probably getting sick of us asking the same stupid questions, however I searched and had a bit of look and couldn't find what I was looking for.

I am trying to connect my Azure with the Visualiser on a PC using Vista, I have downloaded everything (including the Pearl simulator) except for the license key, and read the manuals. Where can I get a serial to DMX cable? I was hoping to get an AVO one as it helps with fault finding.

I am based in Australia.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 25 Jan 2011, 11:20

Presumably you meant Serial to MIDI?

It's quite easy to make one.
Luminous Lights

Postby Luminous Lights » 28 Jan 2011, 08:23

Thanks, but that is not helping me! This is not what I asked at all. You are assuming my soldering skills are the same as yours and I have the time to make one (I do this as a second job).
If I buy MIDI to USB will this work instead?
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 28 Jan 2011, 08:56

No problem. You're welcome.

I don't think a Usb to MIDI has ever been made. Normally you would use Serial to MIDI and then a Usb to Serial converter.

All I can suggest is you contact either your local distributor or Avo sales direct and see what options you have.
Luminous Lights

Postby Luminous Lights » 28 Jan 2011, 09:47

serial to midi doesn't really exist anymore, it's all midi to usb now. It's kinda hard when I don't have a serial port on my laptop.

Regards,
Peter Knagge
Luminous Lights
Business Owner & Australian Lighting Industry Association member
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 28 Jan 2011, 10:05

That's why I said you would normally use a Usb to serial converter.
Luminous Lights

Postby Luminous Lights » 28 Jan 2011, 10:18

and I'm telling you I'm the customer, and you're wrong!

Stuff it, switching brands, Avolights have a international reputation of being condescending to customers, hard to get along with and overpriced.

Looks like the program is obsolete now anyway (guess you now know what an Azure customer feels like now)... :(

kthxbai.
The customer is always right.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 28 Jan 2011, 11:00

Firstly I am not employed by Avolites to provide support here. This is something I do for free in my own time. Anyone can post, but no one else replied yet.

I understand you are unhappy about the situation with the Azure development and I can't help you there.

I was only pointing you to the possible options. Maybe a standard Usb-MIDI lead will work. I had assumed the wiring was particular to Avo but it may not be. The fastest way to get an answer to this is to contact service.

I also do not know if Avo produce the Serial-MIDI lead or whether it is available locally to you. Which is why I suggested you contact sales or distributor.

I do know that the serial-MIDI lead and serial to Usb converter combination do work and was the way I was told to do it.