Problem with Cachebuilder application

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

subhayan

Problem with Cachebuilder application

Postby subhayan » 23 Apr 2008, 22:32

Hello all,

I'm a live sound engineer working with a rental company with a basic knowledge programming and running a show on the Pearl 2004 board. My problem is that I needed to load two personality files into the cache of the board. I downloaded both the cache builder application (.msi) as well as cachebuilder.exe.

I did not have any problems with installing the application or the personality files but when I try to build the cache I do not get any results window (the readme says I should get a result window which will tell me the file was successfully created). The file p2000per.cmp file is being created but I don't get any message even if the file size limit of 96k is exceeded.

I have tried to cache the file created above in the Pearl but it tells me that it is unable to expand.

I have tried to create the cache file on three different PCs (all running Windows XP SP2 with Windows Installer 3.1) over the last 48 hours with the same results..

I know I must be doing something wrong, but I just can't figure out what it is..

I did look through the topics before posting a new one but apologies if this has already been covered somewhere.. Please help!

Subhayan
Gregory

Postby Gregory » 24 Apr 2008, 14:33

Hi,

An update to Cachebuilder was made a few days ago to bring the shape file it uses up-to-date. Unfortunately there was a flag set wrongly which meant that cache files wouldn't always be created correctly, this has now been fixed. Please download the current version from downloads website which should solve your problem, sorry for the inconvenience.

Gregory
subhayan

Postby subhayan » 24 Apr 2008, 15:43

Erm... then I definitely must be doing something wrong because I tried again 3 hours ago. Borrowed a friend's laptop, downloaded the .msi and personality files but having the same problem.. no results window and Pearl cannot expand the .cmp file..

Thanks for the prompt response, though..

Any suggestions on what I could do now would be sincerely appreciated..

Thanks,
Subhayan
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 24 Apr 2008, 16:07

I can't be sure, but I suggest you try again now. I believe Gregory was saying the faulty file was uploaded a few days ago but the fixed file may well have been uploaded between your last attempt and his post. Possibly?
subhayan

Postby subhayan » 24 Apr 2008, 16:32

:) Its worth a shot!
Thanks...
subhayan

Postby subhayan » 25 Apr 2008, 07:53

Downloaded the .msi again and installed it and Yes! The cache file is being created just as it is supposed to be. The Pearl tells me that the personality file has been successfully cached... but me and my problems :roll: Now I don't see the new files when I want to select the fixture.

As you might have deduced, this is my first attempt to build a cache file and update it in the Pearl... someone who has worked with the Pearl for a long time told me that updating the cache is a... tricky.. thing.. he said you put in the floppy disk and pray... I'd just thought he was doing something wrong... but is that really the case? Should I be praying? :shock:

Cheers,
Subhayan
subhayan

Postby subhayan » 29 Apr 2008, 06:03

Just an update...

The cache file was being read by the Pearl exactly as it was supposed to. I had forgotten to add the personality files of the two new fixtures I had been trying to load on the board... so obviously it appeared as if the cache had not been updated :oops:

I also discovered that the first entry in the list while patching the fixtures gives info about when the cache file was created.. but of course, I'm sure everyone already knew that!

A sincere thank you to all who took the trouble to go through my posts and reply.

Cheers,
Subhayan