Pearl 2008 USB Upgrade

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

chiefo

Pearl 2008 USB Upgrade

Postby chiefo » 30 Nov 2007, 20:19

Hi there,
First time poster, long time reader and all that.

So I have a shiney almost new pearl 2008, loads of cool Robe moving lights and a stack of floppy disks. You can guess which bit I want to get rid of. I've ordered my upgrade kit and a USB key, all I need is some advice.

Has anyone here performed the upgrade successfully? Any tips? The desk doesn't actually belong to me so I dont want to dive in red-hot soldering iron in hand, at least not just yet.

My chassis holds the BUM PCB on those little plastic pillars, so I have to do the alternative earth connection. It seems relatively straightforward, but I want to do it properly. I presume the bare-end of the earth lead is soldered to LK1, but how? do I need to connect the 2 points on LK1 with the U-shaped copper wire, like in Pic 1 of the diagram? Or do i just solder in the lead? Do I have to solder the earth leads to both points on LK1, or just one? If just one, which one? Either one?

Sorry for all the questions, but cant afford €10,000 out of my pay.
Low_ID

Postby Low_ID » 04 Dec 2007, 09:22

First of all, if you have a Pearl 2008 you don't need to order an upgrade kit. All you have to do is to follow the instructions to ask to Avo for the Licence code, then install the software when you have the licence, and that's all. The system will work perfectly with the new program .

As for the earth link, you must always solder a u-shaped wire between the holes on LK1. After that you could either solder in the link the bare end of the wire or, in a cleaner way, use a two M3 crimped-terminals wire and two shake-proof washers to link the screws on the fixing points from both boards.
Low_ID
chiefo

Postby chiefo » 05 Dec 2007, 00:08

Thanks Low_ID,
Not really getting your answer though...

The upgrade kit arrived and all it consists of is a little bag containing a length of earth wire with one bare end and one M3 crimped end, with a screw, washer and some u-shaped copper wire, so it's basically just the parts needed to make the earth link.

I'd rather not solder if I could avoid it, but if it needs to be done the kit has everything needed, bar the solder and iron.

I'm debating whether to just try the software method and see if it works, but the Avo site's kinda scaring me, saying I must carry out the internal work before doing anything else.

All a bit confusing, but thanks again Low_ID.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 06 Dec 2007, 00:27

The release of this ECN will be for good reason. Presumably problems have been discovered due to the board not having earth connection.

Soldering is required regardless of method. Essentially you are making a link from chassis ground to the left side of LK1.

If you have any concerns at all please phone service and speak directly for more advice.