How to control Shape size and speed by playback faders

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

Ashley

How to control Shape size and speed by playback faders

Postby Ashley » 15 Nov 2007, 16:19

How do i link a shape size and speed to a playback fader?
Ashley

Postby Ashley » 15 Nov 2007, 16:21

Reply by Nic in PM

You just need to set to mode2:

[edit times]/playback SWOP and then softbutton G toggles through modes 0-1-2.

Also, when you record a memory you can save it ready in this mode by pressing numeric 2 just before the playback SWOP to store (LCD prompts this at the top of the screen).

Mode 2 and shapes works in conjuction with timed/static settings for size & speed. ie. static will not be affected by fader and timed will. This is set from Shapes/Playback Parameters. Since 2004 software both are initially set to timed by default.

/nic
Ashley

Postby Ashley » 15 Nov 2007, 16:22

Thx for the fast reply.

I tried that already, but i want to be able to set size AND speed for the shape by using different playback faders. I can't get that to work.

The one keeps overruling the other.

But i have seen someone do it.

any tips on that?
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 16 Nov 2007, 00:32

I understand why you would want this but unfortunately it is not possible. You can set size & speed together on a single fader but you cannot split control across two for the same shape. It must be specific to the shape contained on the playback. This has always been a compromise on control.
Ashley

Postby Ashley » 16 Nov 2007, 14:14

Thx for the replay, but i have seen this work on a pearl 2004 during a show, the LJ explained me how to do it....but ofcourse so fast i can't remember exactly how :?: (he was explaining during a show) i untherstand it is not possible to simply link 2 faders to 1 shape, but maybe he figured out a work around.

i will ask him how he did it and post this asap. Maybe other people know how to manage this can also give some suggestions.

I realy want to get this to work, cause it is ideal for busking live shows with minimal programming time (like there is any programtime on most shows :? ) and adapting movements to music.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 16 Nov 2007, 18:25

I really think you are mistaken. I'll gladly be proven wrong though!

For busking I always run shape (usually pan+titl) in mode2 with size & speed set to timed (to allow fading in mainly) and origin coming from palettes.
Ashley

Postby Ashley » 21 Nov 2007, 19:12

sad to say you where right, i spoke to the LJ and he confirmed only using timed shape speed, and static shape size.

At certain speeds, the size of a shape gets limited by the speed of the MH fixtures. This made it look like size is adjustable, seperate from speed;
making it look like small fast movement adjustable to large slow movement. As an extra he labeled the shape playbacks as W & S which i figured for width & speed, but turned out to be Wash & Spot.... :oops:

He also conviced me that this function is not so usable considering the difficulty of controlling a shape like this. (Keeping your ML on the stage could prove to be an issue)

I tried achieving this by merging/combining shapes, but the 'problem' of the last playbackfader being raised overruling the 2nd last playbackfader sent what little hope i had down the drain.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 22 Nov 2007, 01:12

Yep.

Just remember to not record P/T position in the shape otherwise mode2 will cause the origin to fade as well as control size/speed. Get P/T from palettes, other playbacks or wheel in and you're safe!