Expert mysteries

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

jhld

Expert mysteries

Postby jhld » 29 Jul 2007, 10:54

I just got mine, but... how do I use the Colour Picker - it is not documented, I see that there is a vesa mount area on the back - what kind of arm do you recommend/use at Avo?

PS - I miss my legends, when can we expect an actual Expert software?
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 29 Jul 2007, 22:32

Assuming you have the build with Colour Picker it is available from Tools drop-down menu on VDU.

Works with any colour mixing capable fixture & pretty straight forward I think. Note that the personality file syntax has been updated to specifically define RGB channels in relevant fixtures. By using this the colour picker models should translate correctly to corresponding colour although this is something I haven't tested.

I don't think you will ever get a date on software. It is too complex and more important to make sure it works than to rush it out.

Call Avo about the mount. Last time I spoke I think something was available or nearly?
jhld

Postby jhld » 01 Aug 2007, 08:16

Well, I don't see the color picker anywhere. No big, just thought it would be cool to try it.. Talked to Rob about the monitor arm. It seems there is a "monitor package" that includes a small monitor and an arm for $500. No, can't get the arm alone. Aleady got a nice widescreen monitor. (sigh)
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 01 Aug 2007, 17:17

Sorry, I guess that's still in bug fix then.
Olie
Site Admin

Postby Olie » 07 Aug 2007, 17:26

The Colour Picker update of the software is due out soon but still in Beta stage.

You may have been miss informed about the monitor arm. I think the monitor you are describing is for the standard Pearls. There will be an arm available for the Expert soon which you can mount a standard monitor on.
Avolites Software Team
JB Toby

Postby JB Toby » 08 Aug 2007, 21:53

About the screen mount.
Since last week we are shipping a screen arm which only fits the Expert and allows a VESA mount 75 or 100 LCD screen either 15" or 17" to be fitted.

The screen arm on its own is part number 1374-0070

A 15" screen with the arm is part number 30-01-9905

contact sales for pricing and delivery

JB
J.B.Toby
Technical Director
Avolites limited
184 Park Avenue Park Royal
London NW10 7XL UK
Tel +44(0)20 8965 8522
Tel +44(0)20 8965 0290
email: jb "insert AT sign here" avolites.com

sory need to fend of spam
jhld

Postby jhld » 10 Aug 2007, 05:12

Hey thanks about the arm. I have a 17" widescreen monitor. I'll call Rob.

I have new possible bugs though: Sometimes, when makeing a Mode 2 memory - some of my movers (StudioSpot 250) will go a bit bonkers. Example: I'll make a cue of movers with color and gobo and position, then record it to a sub and it will work just fine. If I make that same que Mode 1 or Mode 2, some of the 250's will do odd color things Some one thing, some another. If I go back and change that cue to mode 0, it will be OK. This only happens sometimes. If the fixtures have no color info or are assaigned o/w, they will be OK in any Mode. I have checked and my attributes are assaigned FADE/INSTANT correctly. This will also happen when I make a chase. Also, if I make a chase as a manual step sequence, I can't trigger it from the sub as of old, must use the step button in the chase section. Thanks for your help.
CoenCo

Postby CoenCo » 10 Aug 2007, 14:53

Did you put any information for the color1-function in that memory? Strange things can happen if you fade that channel in a mode1 or mode2 memory.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 10 Aug 2007, 14:55

Going to need more details than 'do odd things'.

Please describe exact steps to repeat, including whether set to fade or instant along with what you expect to happen versus what does happen.

The obvious thing I can think of is setting a playback to modes 1 or 2 will mean LTP will fade (either by timing or by fader position respectively) from previous values.

Commonly this is mostly an issue with mode2. When using to control a colour or gobo channel it is necessary to manually change these attributes to a base value (ie. zero) before the playback will have the desired effect.

Similarly, when using mode2 for controlling speed/size of shapes it is necessary to preload a P/T position identical to that stored in the playback (if position is stored), otherwise the fixture position will be faded between current and stored with the shape revolving around it.

All that said, I'm not sure if I have ever specifically tested colour or gobo in mode2 so it is possible there could be a problem. However, I would expect it to be consistent in some way or other.

Advancing through unlinked steps by playback Add does work although there are known bugs common to Expert and all Pearl software builds.

Firstly make sure you're in run mode (normal or takeover)! This does not work in Program.

This function will currently fail if you change page (roller or facet) and the new page does not contain a chase on the same playback. This is identical to the [connect] to chase bug.
Solution is to change page back to original or to one that does contain a chase on that particular PB.

It will also fail when in certain menus.

Does that help?
CoenCo

Postby CoenCo » 10 Aug 2007, 15:26

(talking about pearl2004 v1.2)
color and gobo will work fine with mode2. I often have an ALL white+no gobo+strobe mode2 memory for dance parties. As long as all channels are set to be fading they return to their old values after releasing the playback.
If things behave strangely it's usually because you are crossfading control channels (IE gobo-spin => gobo indexed, colour scroll->static colour) or different fixture settings: (IE shortcuts on or off)
jhld

Postby jhld » 10 Aug 2007, 20:57

As with my old Pearl: Dim-fade, Shutter-snap, Iris-fade, Pan-fade, Tilt-fade, Color-snap, Color Funtion-snap, Gobo-snap, Gobo Funtion-snap, Gobo Rotate-fade, FX-snap, FX Rotate-fade.

I used Mode2 extesively on my old Pearl with no problems. Some of my issues are with existing cues that I loaded from my shows I used on the old Pearland am re-working for the Expert.

Here's what happens with StudioSpot 250's.
1st cue, all spots to blue, position 1.
2nd cue, all spots to yellow, position 2. Set both cues to Mode 2.

Activate cue 1 = all lights in cue as they should be.
Activate cue 2 = all lights in cue as they should be
Restore cue 1 = all lights in cue as they should be, except color retains from cue 2

-OR-

Activate cue 1 = all light in cue as they should be.
Activate cue 2 = all light in cue as they should be, except colors on StudioSpots 250 will change to other colors - some one color, some another. And some will have color function activated.
Restore cue 1 = all light in cue as they should be, except color retains from cue 2

If I change cue 1 to be Mode 0, it will restore correctly.

This problem only seems to affect the color settings. I have found that if I Include the entire cue, delete the existing cue, and then record it again using the included information - the cue will work fine. But this only works sometimes.
Also, this seems to mostly affect only the StuidSPot 250's on Universe B, though I have had it happen with other fixtures in other universes
CoenCo

Postby CoenCo » 10 Aug 2007, 21:10

jhld wrote:As with my old Pearl: Dim-fade, Shutter-snap, Iris-fade, Pan-fade, Tilt-fade, Color-snap, Color Funtion-snap, Gobo-snap, Gobo Funtion-snap, Gobo Rotate-fade, FX-snap, FX Rotate-fade.

I used Mode2 extesively on my old Pearl with no problems. Some of my issues are with existing cues that I loaded from my shows I used on the old Pearland am re-working for the Expert.

Here's what happens with StudioSpot 250's.
1st cue, all spots to blue, position 1.
2nd cue, all spots to yellow, position 2. Set both cues to Mode 2.

Activate cue 1 = all lights in cue as they should be.
Activate cue 2 = all lights in cue as they should be
Restore cue 1 = all lights in cue as they should be, except color retains from cue 2

This is expected behaviour. If you set the color to be fade instead of snap, it will also return to cue1
-OR-

Activate cue 1 = all light in cue as they should be.
Activate cue 2 = all light in cue as they should be, except colors on StudioSpots 250 will change to other colors - some one color, some another. And some will have color function activated.
Restore cue 1 = all light in cue as they should be, except color retains from cue 2

If I change cue 1 to be Mode 0, it will restore correctly.

This i have not seen before, no idea what is happening with this one. Maybe someone at Avo could have a look at your showfile? If it is compatible with a normal pearl2004 I'm willing to load it in my desk and see what happens.

This problem only seems to affect the color settings. I have found that if I Include the entire cue, delete the existing cue, and then record it again using the included information - the cue will work fine. But this only works sometimes.
Also, this seems to mostly affect only the StuidSPot 250's on Universe B, though I have had it happen with other fixtures in other universes

Could it be that after you include the old memory you accidentally touch some other paramaters (color function) before re-recording? Or accidentally record by fixture? You sound experienced, so probably not, but you never know :)
jhld

Postby jhld » 10 Aug 2007, 23:25

Well setting my the color attributes to FADE seems to fix this. But I am confused, as the patch on my old console had them set to SNAP and they worked just fine. Perhaps the bug was in the old console (?). I will keep you all appraised.

Thanks for all of your help
jhld

Postby jhld » 10 Aug 2007, 23:30

I posted too soon. While switching to FADE does work, my problem in doing that causes this problem:

As I ride the fader up of the next cue that has a color change with movement, I don't want the colors to flip through all the other colors to get to the next color. As I ride the fader up, I want the color to snap in and ride the position to it's next point. This is how I did it before.
jhld

Postby jhld » 10 Aug 2007, 23:44

Problem solved with re-patch of fixtures.