Expert User Manual ???

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

Dustin Snyder

Expert User Manual ???

Postby Dustin Snyder » 17 Feb 2007, 01:21

Hey,

I will be getting the Pearl Expert in few weeks and am wondering if there is a manual or release notes that I could read in the meantime. I have a 2004 now and am curious about the new features.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 17 Feb 2007, 13:15

Hi Dustin,

I believe a hard copy manual has been written, but probably not online yet.

The aim of the initial release was to make it as near as identical to the latest Pearl build as possible. This guarantees known stability and familiarity and makes an easy transition. Therefore the actual software is essentially the same and the differences are all physical.

Since there are currently no online release notes I will refer to my appraisal of the final. I hope this is useful in the meantime:

The most significant difference is running under XP/Intel. Windows boot is approx 30secs but the Pearl software can be stopped/restarted if required on top much faster via dedicated 'quick' buttons - this can be regarded as an equivalent to the reset button which no longer exists.

All hardware is new. Internal boards are all USB and connect via two 7-port hubs. There is a separate USB console for diagnostics and configuration.

Extra playbacks.

Split Roller (note there are now two sets of roller page buttons to accompany).

Upper Bank Preset SWOP/Add - Can be used for flash/palette function/fixture select & mimic LED's same as lower bank. (note that on Fix Page 0 upper bank palettes are 121-150, Fix Page 1, 151-180 etc.)

Separate Fixture Page buttons.

HDD & USB storage: There is a USB port on the front of the console in addition to motherboard ports on the rear. When Loading/saving shows there is now a 'hard drive' option and, if a USB stick is present, a USB option.

Master faders have moved to top left along with key.

Preset faders are now 60mm travel.

Desk lamp level, LCD Contrast & Brightness are all altered by wheel through User Settings menu.

Known bugs:

Vales for non-dimmer attributes for fixtures on handles 101 up are displayed as zero(in programmer) or blank(not in programmer) on LCD display regardless of actual level. This does not affect actual output to stage or recording/editing.

PB Mimic LED's associated with raised 'static' memories turn off after pressing [connect]. They are restored on movement of any of the static memory faders.

View PB currently does not reference correct memory.

Raised handles that have been cleared can re-enter programmer when nudged if fixture page has been changed (Takeover). Normal operation would require handle to be moved to zero before values can be placed in programmer again.

SWOP in Normal mode - Currently after 'swopping' a PB information for faders will be loaded from current page and not originating page. This was a long time fault in 2000 builds but fixed in 2004. Conversely, lowering/raising the Memory master will now load in the originating page information - this is something that had never been fixed previously!

Changing page (roller or facet) resets temporary timing values - this existed in all previous builds.

Note (not exactly a bug) that, IIRC, to load a new shape file it must be placed in the personalities folder and then [Patch]/['Choose a Fixture'] (System/Load new shape file does not work)

Hope that's useful!
Dustin Snyder

Postby Dustin Snyder » 21 Feb 2007, 03:11

thanks nic! Can't wait to get it!