Shapes in linked cues [Feedback/Bug/FeatureRequest ?]

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

yinameah

Shapes in linked cues [Feedback/Bug/FeatureRequest ?]

Postby yinameah » 07 Aug 2023, 22:46

Hello,

I’m having a hard time with shapes. I found myself with what I would consider a bug. Here is the steps I’m doing :

1) Select a bunch of fixtures, and create a shape (Shape And Effect -> Shape Generator). Which effect doesn’t matter
2) Record the effect on some empty fader, creating a cue. Clear the programmer
3) Create a link (copy -> link) to another fader
3) Fire the fader no1
4) Edit the shape (Shape and Effect -> Shape Generator -> Edit -> Select Shape) and increase the Speed
5) Exit the menu. Cut fader no1 and fire it again : the effect runs with increased speed as expected

The issue is that fader no2 doesn’t run with the new parameter (i.e. the speed is the original one) Since both cues are linked, I would expect the shape parameters to be linked as well.
I also tried to edit the shape with Open -> click on cue handle -> click on View Shape button and changing values manually in the "Shape View" window. The issue is the same.

Am I missing something here ? Is there a way to make this work ? Is it the intended behavior ?

On a side note / second bug report, when editing a shape parameter, the menu doesn’t close properly :

1) Fire any cue with a shape
2) Shape and Effect -> Shape Generator -> Edit -> Select Shape
3) The encoders wheels switch to Speed/Size/Spread
4) Click Exit twice to quit the menu

The encoder wheels stays stuck to the Speed/Size/Spread "mode". Again, I don’t know if this is intended behavior but it feels kinda weird, since you don’t really know to which shape the encoders are linked anymore. (and if you touch the wheels changes are taken into account)

On a more general note, I feel that the "link" functionality is a bit shallow. There is (to my knowledge at least) no way to know if two playbacks are linked. Since nowadays there is a clear and clean Show Library, I would prefer to be able to "assign" the same playback to multiple locations. The playback number would be the same, and you would know for sure what you are dealing with. Or at least some visual clue that some cues are linked.

I follow the evolution of Titan software for many years now (I think my first one was v6) and I am very impressed by the overall consistency of the software despite major changes. The way Avolites managed to keep the good ideas of Pearl old ways and include modern window based workflow while keeping almost everything consistent is truly remarkable.

PS : Re-reading the documentation, it does say that linked playbacks can have different timings and Options, which I guess makes sense in some scenarios. Maybe it’s more of a feature request than a bug. At the very least, having the same shape (including speed and spread) on multiple locations seems like a valid and quite common use case.

Hardware : Titan Mobile
Software : 16.0.670.5
yinameah

Re: Shapes in linked cues [Feedback/Bug/FeatureRequest ?]

Postby yinameah » 08 Aug 2023, 08:55

After a good night of sleep, I found a "workaround". Post it here in case it’s useful for someone.

So, we have fader no1 which contains a shape, and fader no2 which is a linked cue to fader no1

1) Instead of edit the effect in the cue directly, do :
- Don’t fire the fader no1
- Include -> press fader no1 handle
- The shape is now in the programmer
2) Edit the shape with (Shape and Effect -> Shape Generator -> Edit -> Select Shape)
- Or actually use Connect -> Shape which is kind of a shortcut for the above (always read the doc again in the morning :P )
3) Change some parameters
4) Record -> fader no1 handle -> Replace Cue
(Seems to work also when Merge Cue, but unsure of the result with multiple shapes involved)

Now, fader no2 DOES update according to my expectation :D

I don’t know how much of this is intended behavior, but if it is, I would suggest to update the doc to state this clearly.