From busking to theatrical cue programming

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

Il Tassp

From busking to theatrical cue programming

Postby Il Tassp » 25 May 2023, 15:37

Hi everyone.
Next June I'm going to be board operator for a classical and modern dance show in a small theatre.
Think 15 to 20 dance schools, one song each, and each one with its own LD/director.
About 12 LED beams and washes, some 1000W Fresnel or PC, Avo Quartz.
Programming and rehearsal time will be (very) short.
I'm quite ok in busking live music shows (record by channel, intensities and shapes on faders, everything else on palettes), but quite a noob in theatrical cue programming.
And I'm afraid that going full busking will simply be not possible, due to the many precise changes and movements involved.
So, here are some random questions:
1. Is it ok to have a playback page or two (10 to 20 faders) per song, moving through the pages as the show goes on?
2. If so, is it ok to program adjacent cues on adjacent playbacks, raising one after the other as the song progresses?
3. If so, is it ok to program and save the first cue for a song, then copy it to the adjacent fader, then edit and save it as the second cue, and so on?
4. Will I need some kind of blocking cue, to avoid data bleeding from the last cue of a song into the first cue of the next song?
5. Which is the best recording mode to accomplish all this: record/fixture/stage?

Sorry for the noobness, thanks in advance.