Quartz Recovery Key

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

Gray.Wilson

Quartz Recovery Key

Postby Gray.Wilson » 14 Jan 2023, 19:40

I'm new here and new to Avolites equipment, so please be gentle with any "dumb new guy" mistakes...
I just got a Quartz and I'm really looking forward to starting to use it on some shows. I'm attempting to upgrade my Quartz console to Titan version 16.0 from 15.1. I have successfully created a Recovery Stick per These instructions: https://web3.avolites.com/software/downloads/recovery-stick-instructions but I can't get my console to go into the boot selection menu. I've tried shutting down and rebooting several times, holding the Executor 10 key from before I hit the power button. I've tried pressing the Executor 10 button as I press the power button. I've tried pressing power, then pressing the Executor 10 button several times in frustration (I can verify that they are capable of handling slamming). I've even completely reformatted and re-created the recovery stick. I called tech support and he suggested that I try using a USB stick with at least 16 GB of memory, but I checked after I got off the phone and mine has 32 GB of memory total...

*frustration*

I don't have a show pressing, but I am getting frustrated because I'm doing a training soon and want to familiarize myself with the newest software before the training.

Any ideas? Thanks for the help!
Gregory

Re: Quartz Recovery Key

Postby Gregory » 14 Jan 2023, 21:12

If for some reason the Executor key is not working you could try plugging in a keyboard and pressing F10 while the console is booting. Depending on how new you console is you could try booting up while holding the Locate button.
ScottOverly

Postby ScottOverly » 15 Jan 2023, 12:37

From Power Off state, PRESS and HOLD both grey [MACRO] button (middle-right) above number pad) and also grey [10] button (uppermost right in top row) with one hand, and then just touch power button once with other hand while continuing to hold both buttons until you see any text appear on the screen. Immediately try very quickly to release your hand and re-press and hold both [MACRO] and [10] again at the same time. A few seconds later the 'Password' prompt appears. Hey, perhaps retriggering the second time may theoretically not be necessary, but this was precisely what I did last week for a successful Quartz Recovery Stick Boot.

PS I was using a 16GB USB stick, which from what I read, was l stated as the MAXIMUM size not to be exceeded. Maybe try 16GB?
Gray.Wilson

Postby Gray.Wilson » 17 Jan 2023, 13:28

Thanks guys.
I've tried the locate button and it didn't work. I'll try Scott's suggestion and see what happens. If that doesn't work, I'll try to keyboard.

Much appreciated!
Gray.Wilson

Postby Gray.Wilson » 20 Jan 2023, 16:18

Here's an update! A friend who owns several Titan consoles came yesterday to train me on the Quartz and he was able to figure it out. He had to connect an external keyboard and hold the F2 key to get into the BIOS and change the boot drive. Definitely not something I would have come up with on my own, but it worked! He was a big help and is very knowledgeable. Shout out to Robert from Pisgah AVL for saving my bacon.

I hope this helps others!