2004 Pearl RGBW Led problem

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

Il Tassp

2004 Pearl RGBW Led problem

Postby Il Tassp » 26 Aug 2022, 11:18

Good morning everyone, sorry if this has been already covered.
I often run an old 2004 Pearl with RGBW Led wash and beam fixtures.
Given a 99% busking environment, I like programming colors as palettes, switching between them with a fade time from the keypad.
White channel is used, either as stand-alone or mixed with RGB for those "pastel", softer hues.
The problem is:
- beam fixtures fade nice and smoothly from one color to the other, just as they should,
- in wash fixtures, RGB channels fade, but White channel doesn't: it snaps instantly from the previous value to the next instead, while RGBs are just starting to fade in.
Obviously it looks very cheesy, especially when transitioning from a color with a lot of White to one with none: White shuts off immediately, leaving dark on stage until RGB channels kick in.
The only way to get around this is to use the wheels (slow and messy while busking), or to program RGBW as Mode 2 faders (still haven't tried, but I'd rather prefer to save 4 faders for something else).
Is this a problem with the fixture itself, or with the personality file, which needs to be updated/replaced, or some sort of user error?
Thanks in advance
niclights
The eManual

Re: 2004 Pearl RGBW Led problem

Postby niclights » 26 Aug 2022, 12:16

This will be because the white channel is set to instant mode in the DMX definition of the personality file. You could edit this to be fade in the personality file or change it in the console by going to Patch Utilities -> [Set/ Reset Instant mode] -> <select fixtures to change> -> <select attribute to change> -> press softkey E or F to change. (you will need to have a VDU connected to see the current mode of fixtures/attributes)
Il Tassp

Re: 2004 Pearl RGBW Led problem

Postby Il Tassp » 26 Aug 2022, 17:37

Thank you, I'll try this asap and report back.