Desk lock function on pearl??

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

Tom

Desk lock function on pearl??

Postby Tom » 28 Jun 2004, 10:21

Can anyone tell me where the desk lock function is .... i can remember using it before but i cant find it any more.. it's a function to lock your pearl with a code so no one can chage anything (exept for the fader positions)

Maybe its in an older software version or something ..i know that i found it once in a menu somewhere .. and its pretty useful if youre taking a break and have to leave your desk..

Thanks in advance

Tom
Olie
Site Admin

Postby Olie » 28 Jun 2004, 13:16

I think you are getting confused with the pearl simulator which allows you to select "Lock Desk" after you type in a number on the keypad.

I do not believe this feature is in any previous pearl software.
Avolites Software Team

Postby Guest » 28 Jun 2004, 13:30

Hmmzz..

Maybe youre right.. in the sim i can find it...

But im almost certain that i used it once on the desk.... maybe im wrong..
jgubby

Postby jgubby » 26 Oct 2005, 23:56

On my 2004 I just enter the number I want to lock the desk with, and am then presented with the option to use that as a code.

James
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 27 Oct 2005, 01:13

Now let me see... oh yes, you have resurrected a post that was 1.5 yrs old, prior to the release version of 2004v1 for the console. :roll:
beck

Postby beck » 05 Jan 2006, 13:11

but there is a way to unlock it...... the reset button... cant we have a much secured way to lock our desk?
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 05 Jan 2006, 15:05

It's not supposed to be a high-security measure. More just to stop those with itchy fingers (noise boys... :roll: ) or, for me personnally, just to stop faders getting knocked - for example when putting on the cover.

IMO it would be very dangerous to make it more secure. I already have a number of examples of users forgetting the code, or even worse, the code they thought they entered was not correct. Usually this is discovered minutes before a show begins. The reset option saves the day.
jgubby

Postby jgubby » 05 Jan 2006, 18:09

I agree entirely. In the past, ive had a big noise boy mash his hand on the desk to get the lights to change. Same guy can lift a wavefront cabinet onto stage though, so I guess no software lock is enough. Might buy a cage.
ChiekuRs

Postby ChiekuRs » 06 Jan 2006, 19:30

hmm.. maybe you can create a simple lock function, which unlocks the conslole when key is turned? when you go away, just take key with you and thats it.. when you come back, put key in, turn it and conslole is unlocked. what do you think?
ljmartijnw

Postby ljmartijnw » 02 Feb 2006, 20:58

Thats sounds like an option, but there is a way to get the lock undon. I have a key always with me I keep them with my house keys.

Maybe there's an option to make something in the software (what allready happend) but then ellimanating the reset button.
iadwm

Postby iadwm » 03 Feb 2006, 02:29

ljmartijnw wrote:Thats sounds like an option, but there is a way to get the lock undon. I have a key always with me I keep them with my house keys.

Maybe there's an option to make something in the software (what already happened) but then ellimanating the reset button.

If you are THAT concerned , why not....unscrew the washer that holds the reset button to the case and secure it inside the case. That way it's still available and easily accessible should you ever need it. Simple.

I was on a gig and noise boy in front of FOH, spotted the reset (show had just gone up) and with a really evil look in his eyes (like only they have)...said "oh, R E S E T - what does that do....?" <goes to press>

(yes Beach - ex Cliffs Pavilion, SoS - I'm talking about you...)

Well, my language...words I didn't know I knew...

(He didn't, but I still jumped)

Regards,

Andy
"It's the prospect of hearing something that you could never have dreamed existed"
John Peel

www.iadwm.com