Built in capture adjust overall level.

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

nflutter

Built in capture adjust overall level.

Postby nflutter » 24 Feb 2022, 18:29

Titan v15 Mobile.

Using the built in capture visualiser, it just seems the screen level of everything is wayyyy too high. Got a stage setup with a pretty standard set of washes, spots, beams and blinders. Basically when anything is focused downstage or FOH the whole screen just bleaches out so I literally can't see anything. If I run the faders on my desk at a ridiculously low level the screen output is realistic, nice and bright but not completely bleached out, I can see cells of blinders on a chase, and gobos on spots etc, it looks really realistic but I'm literally talking no more than 5% fader values! Any ideas how to tweak Capture? One idea was to setup a master fader and run it right down when I'm on Capture?
niclights
The eManual

Re: Built in capture adjust overall level.

Postby niclights » 24 Feb 2022, 19:53

Try setting the exposure to a negative value such as -300 in Capture Visualiser Settings -> Appearance (note you can use the +/- softkey to get a negative value - I don't think it currently accepts '-xxx' directly).
nflutter

Postby nflutter » 24 Feb 2022, 20:19

Yeah, I've tried that, the maximum negative value is -300 which is still nowhere near, it would need to be something like -2000, and then the exposure isn't just the light output, it's almost like a contrast control so when set low I can't see my stage or any fixtures. It just seems I need to reduce the value of intensity just for Capture. Do others see this issue with the built in capture? Running faders on my desk at around 5% the visualiser looks great and very close to what I'd expect it to look like.
nflutter

Postby nflutter » 24 Feb 2022, 20:38

OK I've got something that works for me now, I've adjusted the smoke to 1% in capture settings, it now resembles a real life look. It was set at 30%, I've never changed it so guess that's default. If you get the same issue try reducing smoke...... not something I do in the real world!
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 24 Feb 2022, 21:30

I believe the difficulty here is accurately simulating the relative intensities of fixtures in a theatre. The intensity is very much related to the fixtures you are using and, where available, fixtures are simulated according to their photometric properties.

I believe the stand-alone Capture tries to automaticaly adjust the overall exposure depending on the fixtures in the theatre (at least by default) and without checking I think more recently it may be possible to adjust the fixtures individually (presumably at the expense of maintaining relative balance).

It is not currently possible to change the level of fixtures individually within the Titan interface and I'm unsure if Titan is employing the same automatic compensation or not but one way or another I do agree some fixtures appear extremely over-exposed in the integrated Capture, particularly 'beam' type fixtures with narrow beam angles. There is a very recent example where in testing initially I thought none of the colours were simulating at all. It was only when I set the lowest possible exposure and intensity level that I realised they were. However, many fixtures look perfectly correct and undoubtedly there are fixtures with (relatively) low output where you might be suggesting it is under-exposed. So it is not necessarily a straight-forward matter. Human eyes automatically adjust.
nflutter

Postby nflutter » 25 Feb 2022, 08:02

I totally understand how tricky it must be trying to simulate all the different kinds of fixtures. Thanks for your help. If anyones having the same problems just try knocking the haze level down to 1 or 2% it's working much better for me now. Thanks again