Colour shapes on fixed wheel fixtures not working as expected ?

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

jgavo

Colour shapes on fixed wheel fixtures not working as expected ?

Postby jgavo » 02 Jan 2022, 22:09

I have a bunch of Pointes in a venue and I'd like to set up a shape to bump the colour wheel up/down one fixed colour on the wheel which can be applied to whatever is the existing colour.

I'd expected the colour shape Colour 1 Step Up (or 1 Step Down or 1 Flick up or 1 Flick down or Shake) to enable this.

However if I apply any of those shapes when the colour is set to Fixed then all those shapes just bump the wheel to open white and then back to the fixed colour. The size makes no difference (except at zero).

If I set the colour function to Index then it works but only in one direction (so if my start color is D Red I can bump to D Blue but not down to Open White).

It works as I'd expect if I set the colour function to Raw DMX, but that would imply re-doing all colour palettes to raw dmx and break any future fixture exchanges.

However if there's no other way then I'd do that. Just want to explore the options first.

Is this behaviour "as designed" for a reason or is it a bug ?

I'm testing this on a Quartz v15, but the venue has a Tiger Touch running I think around v10.

I don't really want to create a whole set of key frame shapes which would be another workaround.

Thanks for any input,
John.
niclights
The eManual

Re: Colour shapes on fixed wheel fixtures not working as expected ?

Postby niclights » 04 Jan 2022, 17:05

Unfortunately I believe this is a bug. Specifically shapes on 16bit attributes where the current function is non-variable (ie. fixed). Potentially a workaround might be to edit the personality and change the resolution of the attribute in the mode to be 8bit (make sure also the channel offset is changed to just one channel, for example colour would become resolution 8bit, channel offset 7 in Mode 1 of the Robe Robin Pointe).
jgavo

Re: Colour shapes on fixed wheel fixtures not working as expected ?

Postby jgavo » 04 Jan 2022, 20:39

Hi Nic,

Thanks for the reply and the possible workround - appreciated. No way I'd have realised this was an 8bit/16bit issue.

Rgds,
John.