Bug? No cue select option for Advanced Include of some playbacks

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

revenant

Bug? No cue select option for Advanced Include of some playbacks

Postby revenant » 14 Oct 2021, 11:49

Arena V15

Some playbacks (seems to be dependent on position within the physical screen) do not prompt for cue selection when including with the Advanced Include option.

Repro as follows -

1. Start new show
2. Open Playbacks workspace in default position (bottom right quadrant of main screen)
3. Record a cue list in tile 11 of Playback workspace (<Record> [Cue List] (touch empty tile 11 from Playbacks workspace))
4. Tap the cue list playback twice to create a two cue list
5. <Exit> record mode
6. Include the cue list playback using the Advanced Include option (<Include> [Advanced Include] (Touch the previously created playback))
7. Observe that the soft menu option to select a cue to be included has been skipped and you are immediately prompted to set mask options and select fixtures to be included.

If you move or copy the playback one tile up (tile 6) then <Include> [Advanced Include] the playback on tile 6, the menu option to select a cue is presented.

Similarly, if instead of moving the tile within the workspace, you move the entire workspace (for example to the top right quadrant of the screen) <Include> [Advanced Include] the playback on tile 11, the menu option to select a cue is presented.

Attempting to repro this on Titan Go shows similar results except the actual tiles used are different, probably due to different screen resolutions. The Titan Go setup has an up-scaled 4K screen so for step 3 of the repro you should <Record> [Cue List] on to tile 22.

I did not check every tile but there does seem to be at least a handful of tiles from row 3 onward (on the Arena) and row 4 onward (on the Titan Go machine) of the Playbacks workspace where playbacks can be placed and will not present the cue select option for Advanced Includes.
niclights
The eManual

Re: Bug? No cue select option for Advanced Include of some playbacks

Postby niclights » 14 Oct 2021, 12:04

On behalf of the team thank you for taking the time to report this and provide detailed steps to repeat. I can confirm this repeats for me. Selecting a handle from the Include menu seems to perform a mouse down on the resulting cue list playback view (for me on PC suite it was the curve header resulting in the curve column being selected and the Select Cue Curve menu opening). I don't think it matters whether it is advanced or quick include.

/edit:
To add, it looks like this may be quite a long-standing issue (spot tested and confirmed in v10.0 and v13.0) and occurs for anything that opens the playback view in this way, for example [Edit Times] or VIEW/OPEN.
revenant

Postby revenant » 14 Oct 2021, 12:24

Hi niclights,

I think your reply was meant for the other include issue I posted a few days ago here, Bug? Include cue select option can get obscured by Palyback View parameter options

This issue, although related to include, is a different issue and looks to only affect the Advanced Include option for playbacks in certain positions relative to the physical screen.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 14 Oct 2021, 12:53

I got the impression they may effectively be the same thing - if the (playback handle) click location in the Playbacks window intersects with a selectable item in the resulting Playback View window, clicking on that location will also select the item in the Playback View window and the associated menu opening. In the case of include if the click intersects with a column header it will result in the menu for that column opening meaning you cannot select a cue. Apologies if I have misunderstood!
revenant

Postby revenant » 14 Oct 2021, 13:31

This particular bug, for me, is only reproducible when the [Advanced Include] option is selected. If I go through the repro steps but choose [Quick Include] instead, the repro fails and the include operation works as expected.

The Playback View workspace opens with no elements shown to be highlighted or selected, the soft menu options are related to the include operation.

The area of the Playback View workspace that overlays the Playback button is an empty area of the workspace and does not contain any actionable workspace elements to register a button press/click.

For these reasons, I see this as a very different bug, I'm seeing more differences than similarities. However, if it's deemed to be the same issue, apologies for wasting time with duplicate bug reports.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 14 Oct 2021, 13:58

No need to apologise. It's very useful.

I believe I see the issue now. It looks like, when using advanced include, if you click in an empty area in the playback view it opens the Mask Included Playback menu with no cue selected.

If the playbacks and playback view windows are in different locations such that there is no intersection between the playback handle and the playbacks view window at all (for example top left quarter for playbacks and bottom half for playback view), advanced include -> select playback handle -> click in empty space in the playback view window = Mask Included Playback menu. If there is an intersection where the handle intersects with the empty space in the playback view window then the intersection issue results in a click in the empty space. As you say this does not appear to happen for quick include.
revenant

Postby revenant » 14 Oct 2021, 14:36

Ah, I see. That's some great work to deduce it's the click/touch on an empty area resulting in cue selection being skipped.

In that sense, I can see it being regarded as the same issue as the other bug in that overlaid workspaces are registering a touch/click.

However, removing that element of it shows the underlying bug as you have noted that is, touching an empty area of the Playback View workspace skips cue selection for Advanced Include, which I would think to be unexpected behaviour?
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 14 Oct 2021, 15:32

Yes, absolutely. These are two separate issues and I have added them to the database as such with a link explaining the combined consequences.

For internal reference these are #89028 and #89031.
revenant

Postby revenant » 14 Oct 2021, 16:17

Thanks for you for taking the time to look into and log these issues niclights, particularly for the additional time investigating this issue a little further, it is appreciated.