Programmer values override Group Masters?

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

ofamin

Programmer values override Group Masters?

Postby ofamin » 15 May 2021, 14:00

Hello.
I've searched the forum but could find any answer:

Is there a way to have programmers values overriding group masters limitations?
Example: I have a Spot Group Master at 0% and I would like to raise the intensity of some of these spots with the programmer.

Currently (v.15), it seems that programmer values are going through the Group Master.
Is there any option to go around that?

Thanks in advance!
Gregory

Re: Programmer values override Group Masters?

Postby Gregory » 15 May 2021, 16:18

As group masters are applied to the raw DMX level after all the playbacks and programmer values have been merged together it is not possible to separate them out. Broadly speaking the only modifiers after the group masters are the grand master and attribute limits. There is one mode of group masters which works differently which is Takeover, this acts like putting a value in the programmer and then you can hit clear to stop it overriding.

The Playback master can be used to master the levels of playbacks together however there is no way to specify which playbacks so it will master them all. Perhaps in future it might be possible to assign playback groups to a fader and use that to master the levels of a specific set of playbacks however unfortunately that is not currently an option.

Something else you could try instead of group masters might be to use another playback with a zero level stored in it and set to Cross Fade HTP, this could be done in conjunction with setting the playback priorities so that it overrides the playbacks you want without overriding the programmer.

Maybe something else you could try is using macros or options under the Go Page button to release playbacks (not) on specific pages or areas of the console. For example you can release everything on the playback faders which is not on the current page and there are macros to release everything in the Playbacks window. Once you have released the playbacks you don't want you could then raise or reset the group master to allow you to control the fixtures again.
ofamin

Re: Programmer values override Group Masters?

Postby ofamin » 15 May 2021, 21:45

Thank you for the detailed answer Gregory.

The "Playback Group Master" was actually what I was hoping for... let's hope it's implemented in a future release.
In my opinion, the introduction of "Playback Groups" totally legitimises the creation of such a type of Master. But that's another topic :wink:

I will try the "Cross fade HTP zero level stored playback" as a workaround solution. That's a clever trick!
The only inconvenience is that 100% intensity will be with the fader down. Not optimal in a live context.