Pearl Expert - how to tell if upgraded?

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

ndp

Pearl Expert - how to tell if upgraded?

Postby ndp » 17 Feb 2021, 01:46

We have a Pearl Expert that we've owned for some time. As far as I can tell, we purchased it back in 2009. At some point the Touch Wing was added as well.

I'm trying to unravel and see what work it's had done - mainly to see if the software can be updated past v9 and if it's worth it to get an AvoKey for it. The joys of a University-based production services club as that as people come and go so does the knowledge about prior operations if good records are not kept.

I pulled it out and opened it up today. It's definitely had some work done. A new SSD (Crucial model, 240Gb), obviously the Touch Wing and such. A bunch of mod wires and resistors have been added to the fader boards too all in line with the modifications from this document I found online (https://www.avolites.com/portals/0/downloads/manuals/pearlexpert/pearlexperttitan_upgrade.pdf). Thermaltake PSU (definitely not original). Still only has 2Gb of RAM, however.

Now, how do I go about telling if the console has been upgraded to the Pro variant/is compatible with Titan 10 and later? Does the prescience of the Touch Wing/SSD/mods indicate that it's ready to go (minus the RAM)?

Here's a rough pic of the insides. Let me know if you want more detailed.

Thanks in advance. Still learning the Avolites stuff.
Gregory

Re: Pearl Expert - how to tell if upgraded?

Postby Gregory » 17 Feb 2021, 09:15

An indicator that the console has had the Pro upgrade is how many network ports it has: original Pearl Expert consoles had one, Pearl Expert Pro consoles have two.

To upgrade to version 10 you would also need 4GB RAM and a UPS board which you don't appear to have, it should be possible to contact your local distributor for the parts. If you wanted to upgrade to version 12 or above you would also require an AvoKey.