Effects which add (build) or subtract

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

Andrew Palmer

Effects which add (build) or subtract

Postby Andrew Palmer » 04 Jan 2021, 10:18

Hi all,

Am I correct in thinking that the only way to create an effect which adds/subtracts to/from (i.e. modulates) existing attribute values is to use Shapes?

I can't find a way to do this using Keyframe Shapes or 'simple' Cues which appear to be limited to LTP or HTP.

I tend to busk using faders for intensity and pallets/playbacks for effects. However, Keyframe Shapes on the intensity attribute appear to always be LTP rather than add/subtract, which results in fixtures being on even when my intensity fader is on zero.

It is a shame if this is a limitation as Keyframe Shapes make it very easy to create great effects on 2D arrays of fixtures, which are not possible with normal Shapes. I'm sure normal Shapes will be sufficient for my needs, but it would be helpful to know if I should stop searching for a way to do it another way.

Cheers,

Andy
niclights
The eManual

Re: Effects which add (build) or subtract

Postby niclights » 04 Jan 2021, 11:25

You are correct in that shapes are relative and key frame shapes are absolute. If you set the playback option to 'HTP Fader' (default) or 'Fader' the associated fader will control the dimmer level of key frame shapes.
Andrew Palmer

Postby Andrew Palmer » 04 Jan 2021, 11:28

Thanks for that. I now owe you two drinks!

Andy :-)
icke_siegen

Postby icke_siegen » 04 Jan 2021, 13:36

In the wiki at https://www.avolites.de/wiki/shapes:start you'll find some more information about shapes, the patterns used, as well as some more patterns and shapes, e.g. shapes which ONLY add resp. subtract.
Andrew Palmer

Postby Andrew Palmer » 04 Jan 2021, 13:51

Thanks for that suggestion.

I had looked at the possibility of modifying the shapes.xml file but didn't want to run into problems when Avolites updated the file themselves. However, just looking at the file is a good way of understanding what all the shapes do.

Andy.