Chauvet Rogue R1 FXB separate tilt problem

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

djsky

Chauvet Rogue R1 FXB separate tilt problem

Postby djsky » 27 Nov 2019, 11:37

Just discovered something odd.

I have a Rogue R1 FXB which is a moving head with 5 independent tilt heads.

I can adjust each of the 5 head tilt positions in the attribute editor, and offset each head by a few degrees.

I can then store this offset tilt head position as a position palette.

Now, if I clear the programmer, select the fixture, reset the tilt so they’re all pointing down, then clear the programmer again. They all stay pointing down.

Now when I select the fixture and then select my offset tilt pallets, nothing moves.

BUT if I clear the programmer, and DONT select the fixture, and simply tap the offset tilt pallette.... the heads offset correctly.

Any ideas?
djsky

Re: Chauvet Rogue R1 FXB separate tilt problem

Postby djsky » 27 Nov 2019, 11:49

Having thought more about this, is it that the position pallette can only store the core pan/tilt values rather than cell values?

I Tried storing to the beams pallette, but this doesn’t work either.

One other point of note, is that the blue arrow on screen above the wheel values (below the FX function) to get to the attribute editor doesn’t actually appear on the Position function, only on colour, effect and Intensity, so perhaps if the position pallette CAN store multi cell positions, maybe the personality needs updating?
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 27 Nov 2019, 12:13

The problem appears to be related to the way the software tries to automatically guess the palette type. If there is more than one fixture selected and a particular control value is the same across all the fixture in the selection it will initially guess it is a shared palette. If there are differences it will guess it is a normal palette. In this case it should guess normal but it looks like it is not treating the cells as fixtures and therefore only thinks there is one fixture and guesses shared instead. If you then record as a shared palette it seems to get in a bit of a muddle where (at least according to the palette view) there are six separate fixtures (not cells) each with it's own shared tilt value. This is of course nonsense as, by definition, a particular fixture can only have one shared palette. The sixth fixture is probably the master as it shows default values. If you select the fixture and then apply the palette it looks like it is then using the value from the master fixture part (ie. default values) and applying this to the master which in turn applies to all of the cells. But if you apply as a quick palette (ie. no fixture selection) somehow it does still know the correct values for each of the cells.

This is not working correctly. However, it is easy to work around by manually toggling to 'Normal' in the quick record menu before storing the palette (alternatively you can set the minimum palette mode user setting to Normal which will mean all palette will record as normal unless overridden). It will then function as expected.

Regarding the blue arrow in the wheel display this indicates where there are more wheel pages available. It is not related to the Attribute Editor shortcut - you can still access the Attribute Editor by touching in this area when the position attribute bank is selected. There are only two controls assigned to the position attribute bank (currently this is the limit) and therefore there are no additional pages and the blue arrow does not show. Technically speaking it probably shouldn't appear in the intensity bank either - I think this is a result of the dimmer and shutter controls being assigned to different banks in the personality file (legacy) but they are now collected together. This is a very minor issue though.
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 27 Nov 2019, 12:43

Further to this I have investigated in more depth and it looks like it is specific to where the cells are not the same. In the majority of multi-cell fixtures/personalities, the cells are all the same thing (for example 10x RGB etc.) But in this case the nature of the way the channels are assigned in the 'Advanced' modes means each cell needs to be slightly different to achieve the correct channel assignments. This implementation ensures compatibility with the effect functions. Note that the channel assignments in the 'Tour' and 'Standard' modes allow for the same cell to be used and so do not suffer from this problem. Therefore an alternative solution might be to use one of these modes instead.