Colour change in dark for spots

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

samrbradley

Colour change in dark for spots

Postby samrbradley » 12 Sep 2019, 11:56

Hi all. I have 2 x Martin Mac 250 Entours and 2 x Chauvet Intimidator Spot LED 350s. In the DMX protocol of each fixture is a setting to blackout the lamp while a colour or gobo change is in progress, so you don't see the whole effects wheel spinning mid-show when you change colours/gobos.

I haven't been able to get these settings working on these fixtures through Titan, how should I go about implementing this?

Using Tiger Touch Pro v11.3 and 14 channel mode on the 350s, 16 channel extended mode on the 250s.

Many thanks!
niclights
The eManual

Re: Colour change in dark for spots

Postby niclights » 13 Sep 2019, 14:39

For the Chauvet Intimidator Spot LED 350 you should find various 'in dark' options in ML MENU/[Macros]. Note that the manufacturer has not documented how these work so at the moment they are set to the default which is to go from the current value (usually the locate value which is 'Safe'/0 in the Control attribute) directly to the relevant function, hold for 6 seconds and then return directly to 'Safe' again. If this doesn't work you can try doing this manually via the Attribute Editor window by selecting 'Safe' in the Control attribute and then selecting the required option and wait (for example 10 seconds if 6 was not long enough). Note that it is usually important to go directly from safe to the required function and not touch any of the functions inbetween - this cannot be done with the wheels but is easy with the Attribute Editor.

For the Martin MAC 250 Entour it is not entirely clear in the manufacturer's documentation. In the P/T Speed control there is a 'Move in Dark' function which you could try if you haven't already but I would expect this to blackout on pan/tilt change (as opposed to colour/gobo). In the charts there are different ranges for the Effect Spd control under subheadings of 'Colour', 'Gobo selection', 'Indexed gobo rotation (only if gobo type = indexed)' and 'Prism' all of which have a 'Blackout while moving' function. However, there is no explanation of how each of these ranges is applied. It is impossible to have more than one function for a given DMX range unless it changes depending on another control. There are no details of dependent controls and there are no obvious things that might change this. Without more details this cannot be reconciled and therefore the Effect Spd control has been defined as a single variable range instead. However, where they exist, all of the 'Blackout while moving' functions sit in the same DMX range which is 252-255. So you could try setting Effect Spd to full and see if it does what you expect!
samrbradley

Re: Colour change in dark for spots

Postby samrbradley » 13 Sep 2019, 22:11

niclights wrote:For the Chauvet Intimidator Spot LED 350 you should find various 'in dark' options in ML MENU/[Macros]. Note that the manufacturer has not documented how these work so at the moment they are set to the default which is to go from the current value (usually the locate value which is 'Safe'/0 in the Control attribute) directly to the relevant function, hold for 6 seconds and then return directly to 'Safe' again. If this doesn't work you can try doing this manually via the Attribute Editor window by selecting 'Safe' in the Control attribute and then selecting the required option and wait (for example 10 seconds if 6 was not long enough). Note that it is usually important to go directly from safe to the required function and not touch any of the functions inbetween - this cannot be done with the wheels but is easy with the Attribute Editor.

For the Martin MAC 250 Entour it is not entirely clear in the manufacturer's documentation. In the P/T Speed control there is a 'Move in Dark' function which you could try if you haven't already but I would expect this to blackout on pan/tilt change (as opposed to colour/gobo). In the charts there are different ranges for the Effect Spd control under subheadings of 'Colour', 'Gobo selection', 'Indexed gobo rotation (only if gobo type = indexed)' and 'Prism' all of which have a 'Blackout while moving' function. However, there is no explanation of how each of these ranges is applied. It is impossible to have more than one function for a given DMX range unless it changes depending on another control. There are no details of dependent controls and there are no obvious things that might change this. Without more details this cannot be reconciled and therefore the Effect Spd control has been defined as a single variable range instead. However, where they exist, all of the 'Blackout while moving' functions sit in the same DMX range which is 252-255. So you could try setting Effect Spd to full and see if it does what you expect!

Thank you so much for your help! I’ll give that a go when I’m next at the desk. Really appreciate the explanation :-)