Avo quartz Titan11.1 and Capture

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

Quasarkeith

Avo quartz Titan11.1 and Capture

Postby Quasarkeith » 22 Mar 2019, 22:38

Hi,

I was referred here by Vangelis of Capture. Who feels this is a Titan issue.

I have a Capture Project that contains a number of conventional tungsten lights mainly Strand. I designed the show in Capture. And I wanted to keep the fixture type Gobo, filter numbers, barn doors, Patch and positions that I had.

If I add dimmer channels to Titan on the Quartz they appear in the console patch in Capture as just generic Zoom spots. And that's what you get in Capture. But i have noticed that the reverse is not true. If you add a conventional light to Capture nothing happens in Titan. I mean should you not get an associated dimmer channel.

If you duplicate a fixture it should appear in Titan as it does with moving Lights.

I don't expect it to know the fixture type just that it's one dmx channel associated with a dimmer channel.

It seems the only way around it is to import all your dimmer channels in Titan as generic spots and then copy over the top the fixture type you need in Capture. Not that easy . And it defeats the object of designing in Capture.

What I wanted was to use the Capture file I used to design for a play. I used a simple 48 channel Zero 88 console originaly on the Capture file.Now they want to re-run the play I thought I could bring the fixtures into the Quartz and re program by copying dimmer levels manually into the Quartz. And then update by bringing in Moving lights as well.
No such Luck ! Any Ideas

Thanks Keith
niclights
The eManual

Re: Avo quartz Titan11.1 and Capture

Postby niclights » 22 Mar 2019, 23:55

In order for Titan to automatically patch a fixture from Capture there needs to be a personality file containing a reference to the specific Capture file.

If you require personalities for fixtures that are not currently in the library (or where there is a personality but it does not currently have the relevant Capture reference) then you can submit a request via the form on the website here.

When requesting a new personality file it will automatically add a request for an associated Capture file. To avoid any confusion please be precise with the fixture manufacturer and model names (ideally copy the names directly from Capture if possible). If a Titan personality file already exists but does not contain Capture references just select 'Capture (.c2o)' from the Desk Type options and use the same manufacturer and model names as currently in the library.
Quasarkeith

Postby Quasarkeith » 23 Mar 2019, 23:36

Hi,
Sorry I don't quite understand that.

But I will as you suggest request a fixture Personality for one of these lights. And see how that works.

Apologies if you see this as a ticket. I was not sure how long it took to get a reply from the Forum. As it was my first time posting here.

Keith
Quasarkeith

Postby Quasarkeith » 24 Mar 2019, 08:31

I had another thought on this,

Is the personality file in Titan for a Conventional light not 'Dimmer"

Capture has hundreds of Conventional fittings even a light bulb. Does it mean you have to request a personality file for everyone you want to use?

Or could you just have Generic Fresnel 1 dmx, Generic spot 1 dmx in Titan and somehow all of those types in Capture would link with Titan?

I tried adding a Generic Par 64 in Capture and I see it appears on the console in Titan.

So I do understand now. It's obviously not as straight forward as I thought!

I have requested some of the Personalities. Hopefully it will sort out.

Thanks

Keith
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 24 Mar 2019, 16:39

Quasarkeith wrote:Is the personality file in Titan for a Conventional light not 'Dimmer"

Capture has hundreds of Conventional fittings even a light bulb. Does it mean you have to request a personality file for everyone you want to use?

'Dimmer' is used to represent conventional lights in Titan. From a control perspective this is all that is required. So historically we didn't need to worry about having separate personalities for each type of fixture. But the link with Capture (both internal and external) relies on unique references stored in the personality file meaning we do now need to have separate personalities for all the fixtures. Unfortunately we don't have personalities for some of these fixtures at the moment because they weren't required before. Therefore where they don't currently exist (or where they do but the references are missing) you will need to request a personality file if you want them to automatically patch between Capture and Titan.

I think if you consider this the other way around it makes a bit more sense - for example if you patch fixtures in TItan and want them to automatically patch in Capture it needs to know what the fixtures are. At the moment Dimmer is linked to a Generic fixture in Capture called 'Profile Zoom' with arbitrary properties which, if I recall correctly, was created specifically for this purpose. So if you just patch dimmers in Titan this is what you will get in Capture.

Perhaps in the future there might be a way to automatically patch dimmers in Titan when linked to Capture where there are single channel conventional fixtures with references that cannot be found in any of the Titan personalities. But I suspect this would cause a number of proplems and probably break things. Similarly I think it would be potentially useful to have a sub-category for dimmers where you could select a specific fixture (and set any other relevant parameters). But this would probably still rely on having the relevant personalities with appropriate Capture references.

Quasarkeith wrote:Or could you just have Generic Fresnel 1 dmx, Generic spot 1 dmx in Titan and somehow all of those types in Capture would link with Titan?

No, there is currently no way to do that. If Capture added a Generic fixture called 'Fresnel' or 'Spot' then we could add a personality to match but it would be an aribitrary power/colour temperature/size so of limited use.

Quasarkeith wrote:I tried adding a Generic Par 64 in Capture and I see it appears on the console in Titan.

As a general rule Capture is simulating real-world fixtures. There are a few 'Generic' fixtures but these are exceptional. To a certain extent you can get away with having 'Generic' Pars as they all tend to have the same specifications.

Quasarkeith wrote:I have requested some of the Personalities. Hopefully it will sort out.

I have received your requests and created personalities with the appropriate Capture references accordingly. All being well these should be available in the Titan library installer from approx 09:00 GMT 25/3/19 and you will receive an email confirming this.
Quasarkeith

Postby Quasarkeith » 06 Apr 2019, 11:58

To Update on this,

I have found that if you have a previously created project in Capture with Conventional fixtures. Titan on the Quartz does not recognise them even with the new Personalities. Unless some hoe there is a way to re-send that information from Capture to Titan? I think I tried enable disable the link and reset universe.

What you have to do is either clone the fixture or add it fresh from the Capture fixture library. These then will appear in Titan.

Also there is some discrepancy between Capture and Titan as to what it considers the unit number or user id of the fixture.

It looks as though channel in Capture is regarded as the unit/user number in Titan. This makes for complication in trying to rationalise the relationship between the Plot in Capture and the Patch in Titan.

As I understand with conventional's, Channel refers to the Physical dimmer channel that the light in connected to in the dimmer room,

I would use this information on the Patch bay to connect a channel to a Circuit.

Thanks Keith