Time code issue

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

matt4298

Time code issue

Postby matt4298 » 17 Mar 2019, 20:40

I am trying to program a cue list with time code. I've followed the steps from one of the AVO tutorials on it. Enabled timecode, connect the cue list, enable time code on the cues, press record, start the time code running... But whenever I hit GO to progress the cue stack and record to the time code the first cue is the only one that records. I can update the timing of the first cue as I hit GO but it never progress to cue 2 and beyond. Any ideas on what I've not done so the cue list progresses? Thanks!
Gregory

Re: Time code issue

Postby Gregory » 17 Mar 2019, 21:24

It might sound counter intuitive but you should disable timecode when you are recording timecode. The console will receive timecode values regardless, the enable/disable timecode setting determines whether playbacks will follow the incoming values. When you are recording this can be problematic as the console will trigger cues based on the times they already have.

You can also set which playbacks are controlled by/connected to timecode in the Timecode menu. Depending on what you are doing you may find turning of the Kill out of range playbacks user setting may be preferable. With it on the desk will kill any timecode triggered playback immediately after the highest timecode value has been reached. This helps if you have multiple timecode cue lists and don’t want to end up with them all still fired but you usually need to add an additional cue at the end to set the time you want it to be killed at.
matt4298

Postby matt4298 » 17 Mar 2019, 21:48

Thanks, that worked better this time.
Now, if I set the kill out of range playbacks when the first cue list running off time code ends it will disable, then I fire the next cue list and reset the time code and press play to run the second cue list? Or is there an easier way?
Gregory

Postby Gregory » 18 Mar 2019, 15:51

Generally each timecoded song or section will have its own time, often each one will start on the hour so song one will start from 01:00:00.00 and song two will start from 02:00:00.00 and so on. If you have a separate cue list for each song then Kill out of range playbacks would be useful so that at the end of song one e.g. 01:03:24.15 that cue list will be killed (so it is no longer fired) and then when 02:00:00.00 is received the next cue list is fired automatically. There is nothing to stop you from having multiple timecode cue lists running concurrently and you do not need to kill them when they are no longer required. Timecode does not require you to manually fire playbacks, they will get fired automatically when the time of the cue is reached.
matt4298

Postby matt4298 » 18 Mar 2019, 16:31

Organizing them by hours makes sense. So my next question is how to change the timecode to that next hour to start triggering the next list.
I'm understanding the creation of the cue list and timing it now, but in show running of it is where I need a workflow now. Thanks for all the help.
Gregory

Postby Gregory » 18 Mar 2019, 16:43

The timecode value including the hour is normally received from an external source via MIDI (MTC) or SMPTE (LTC) so will be dependant on the device that is sending. If you are using the internal timecode clock or Winamp to pre-program you can set the Start Time in the timecode menu, in Winamp the hour is used to specify the playlist (track) number.