Show File corruption??

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

CoenCo

Show File corruption??

Postby CoenCo » 20 Aug 2006, 23:05

Ok, this is something I've never had before.

Using a pearl2004 v1.2 I've programmed a show for a 6day festival.
Every day I program a bit more and before and after the show I "save show to disk" and "verify disk". Then I copy the files from floppy to my laptop, and use winRAR to archive the files. For this process I have used multiple floppies, all are as good as new.
Now this is a process I have used hundreds of times, and it has never ever given me a problem.
Knowing it's a rental desk, after the last show I do a wipeAll.
A few weeks later I have to do the same show again and I get the same desk (and it hasn't been used after I wiped it). I grab a floppy, put the showfiles on it and load it in the pearl. It says: "disk load succesfull" (or something like that) but the show is corrupted.
All fixtures from page1 are gone (24pcs of generic RGB), fixtures from page0 are patched at the wrong handle. Pallettes aren't working and more like that.

Ok, no biggie.
I do a WipeAll. Grab a different floppy and put the showfile from a day earlier on it. Same problem.

The ONLY showdisk that works flawless (out of over a dozen) is the one I used for preprogramming. Which is a patch and some color palletes only. :(

Now can anyone tell me why this has happenned, and if it was a bad disk, why didn't verify disk give a checksum error. And why did it load without giving an error??
niclights
The eManual

Postby niclights » 21 Aug 2006, 00:13

This sounds possibly like a software version compatibility issue. Are you sure the desk is running the same software version as the files saved on disk. All 2004 version shows should be inter-exchangeable but 2000 - 2004 and vice versa might give these symptoms?
CoenCo

Postby CoenCo » 21 Aug 2006, 02:24

yeah.. I'm sure it's the same software version.. v1.2 when I saved, v1.2 when I loaded. It's even the EXACT SAME desk. that hasn't been used inbetween.
I have used the simulator to patch the desk from a previous show though.

it's: empty v1.2 desk -> first 3 day festival -> save to disk -> load in simulator to patch 24RGB fixtures and some other fixtures added -> save to disk(this is the disk that DID load succesfull) -> load in v1.2 desk > 6day festival, with lots of extra programming -> save to disk, wipeall, try to load disk from last session -> errors -> load disk from preprogramming-> succes
Tawnyn

Postby Tawnyn » 23 Aug 2006, 09:37

hi,

got a call from mate yesterday with a similar problem.
what fixtures are you running and did you use alot of shapes, might sound a silly question but i think its shape related.

you start out fine and only program a few shapes but after a while the shapes are starting to build up and the desk fails. my mate who is at a fair in Leipzig had that problem. did a hardware reset and lost his patch when he loaded the disk back in. so i think there is a shape problem on the 2004 soft and using alot of shapes triggers this problem.
CoenCo

Postby CoenCo » 28 Aug 2006, 20:39

Yeah I used a lot of shapes, but no more than I usually use. So that doesn't sound like the problem.
Low_ID

Postby Low_ID » 05 Sep 2006, 11:58

Didn't you try to load the first backup files into the Pearl Simulator on your laptop?

In this way you can see if you show is corrupted from the begining or not...
Low_ID