ETC Ion And Avolites Merge

Questions or discussions about the Titan and classic consoles and software.

Moderator: Moderators

hantoo

ETC Ion And Avolites Merge

Postby hantoo » 30 Jun 2018, 11:14

Hi All,
I'm in need of some help.
Is it possible to take sACN or Artnet in from the ETC Ion and then have the AVO Quartz output that from the physical dmx outputs?

I have an ETC Ion with a identical patch as the avo. I would like the ion to control some lights on universe 1. The avolites quartz has extactly the same patch - it also needs to be able to control universe 1, however at a higher priority.
Am I correct in thinking that I can use the 'DMX Merge' setting to take the sACN stream that the ION is spitting out and input that to the avo, to then output on port A?

If this is possible I would really like some help. I can't seem to get it working.
If I output a sACN stream from the Avo then the ion can see it, however I'm not completely sure if the avo can see the ions sACN input.

I've currently in 'DMX Merge Settings' got an external sACN Merge on port A. So Port A says Line 1, sACN1. In DMX Settings I have Physical DMX 1 bound to port A as well.

Any help would be truly amazing!
Thanks everyone!
Gregory

Re: ETC Ion And Avolites Merge

Postby Gregory » 30 Jun 2018, 11:40

The sACN merge is done on a per universe basis based on the priority of the sACN packets received. In the latest version you can specify the effective priority of the Titan console in DMX Settings (default value 100). Alternatively you can output sACN from Titan as well, set the priority as required and only merge sACN on the DMX port, not outputting to it directly. If you wanted controls for only some of the channels you might be able to use sACN triggers to fire playbacks on the Titan console however this might become cumbersome depending on the level of control you want on the other console.
hantoo

Postby hantoo » 30 Jun 2018, 11:53

Hi @Gregory,
Thank you for your fast reply.
So I've set the priority of the Ion to be 102, and Avo to be 100.
I've been messing around with it and just can't get anything to output. The Ion is definitely outputting sACN.

So just to be clear, in DMX Settings I should be able to output sACN universe 1 on Line 1, and in DMX Merge Settings, set External Scan universe 1 to port A - And that'll merge both consoles and output the DMX using the physical outputs on the quarts?

I've never done this before so I'm unsure about what exactly works and what doesn't
Gregory

Postby Gregory » 30 Jun 2018, 15:25

Yes, that configuration should work. Can you tell if the port is outputting DMX at all or outputting zeros or similar? If the port isn’t outputting at all try open USB Expert Console from the Tools > Control Panel menu. Select the DMX panel from the left and in the DMX tab on the right press the Tx button. Which software version are you running?
hantoo

Postby hantoo » 01 Jul 2018, 13:43

All works now. Had to upgrade to V11 - it was on 10.1.

Is there a way to make the mege HTP instead of one desk has overall control than the other?
Gregory

Postby Gregory » 01 Jul 2018, 19:11

No, it only works with the universe priority of sACN.

As I mentioned before you could use sACN to trigger playbacks in Titan, with that you can record cues with just intensity for any dimmers and mode 2 cues for RGB attributes and similar. This would be quite longwinded if you have a lot to control but would be alright for a few channels.